Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blank screen when rebooting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Blank screen when rebooting

Is Your Firmware up to date?

I jst off my phone with my son and described your problem... He asked me why you where? using Mate? LOL... I can't win. He has almost convinced me to buy a Pi4 for my self though.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

The firmware should be up to date.

And i were just using mate to see if that would work. And it did. That's why i'm wondering why it's not working on Ubuntu. I just can't figure out why the screen goes blank when booting for the second time. It is just so wierd that it picks up the connection and shows the splash screen but nothing else happens... And also the fact that the display works perfectly fine when booting for the first time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

At what point does it go blank?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I’m on the phone so it has to be links.

First splash screen: https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...590/image0.png

Second: https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...910/image0.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There. I don't see any successful kernel boot. I see a crash while trying t o boot the kernel. If it is not booting a kernel, it's at no point yet to get any kind of graphics.

Are you sure you have a good image on the SD card?

Beans

I'm pretty sure, i used the raspberry pi imager

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

My Pi4 just arrived this afternoon... In fact I'm posting from it right now, on Ubuntu 20.04 and running Ubuntu Desktop... But I am connected to a TV via HDMI.
    Code:
    ubuntu@mikes-pi4-01:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
    Release:    20.04
    Codename:    focal

ubuntu@mikes-pi4-01:~$ uname -r
    5.4.0-1038-raspi
    Used a 32GB Samsung Micro SDcard.

Burned image via the "Raspberry Pi Imager", straight from Ubuntu, via the tutorials page... So I would do just like you did.
    - - I wanted 20.04 LTS, so I downloaded the 20.04 Server image through the imager...
    - - The imager does a Verify stage to make sure it is a successful image.

After it was complete, I put the card in my Pi, and booted the image. It does take a while to boot, but I immediately got text messaging on the screen. When it got to a login prompt... there was some extranious output occasionally from cloud init... but I ignored that and logged in with the default user and password... Where it prompted me to change to a new password.

I setup a static IP through NetPlan, setup my own user as an admin account, upgraded the system... Then installed Ubuntu Desktop. Rebooted and it has been running fine. The graphics and speed are not great... but it works. I've had desktops that were slower. I do notice small quirks every once in a while when I load things while Firefox is loaded. Like the screen goes mostly black... But if I move the mouse across the screen, it repaints the desktop(???)

Actually, Ubuntu Desktop is fairly heavy. I am surprised it runs so well on this. Sorry. That doesn't help you "yet."

The only other Imager, I have used for Pi is Etcher... But it seems that I have seen that "Raspberry Pi Imager" works okay. I like it.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 9th, 2021 at 08:24 AM.

Beans

Many thanks to you and your son for helping me through my problem.

The solution for me was to install the ubuntu server operating system as you did first and then install ubuntu desktop afterwards.

Everything is now working as I imagined it at first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Good job!!! Very happy to hear that... Please remember to mark this as Solved, so others can find your solution.

Yes. My son talked me into my Pi4. Now I have it in the front room and am very happy with it. Currently running Gnome Sessions as my default desktop and KVM servere. Funny that the arm64 updates and packages are so much smaller than amd64.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123