Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install FreeTube?

Beans

How to install FreeTube?

I can't install FreeTube. I don't know what to do.

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
    https://user-images.githubuserconten...42c0c6ee4f.png
    Help me please :,(
    Last edited by coffeecat; July 3rd, 2021 at 09:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How to install FreeTube?

Not a tutorial. Thread moved to General Help sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

What is FreeTube? Is the image above related, or is it irrelevant?

...apparently, deb64 packages are anailable at https://freetubeapp.io/#download.

Should be just download and install, if all works as expected.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; July 2nd, 2021 at 08:01 PM.

Beans

private youtube client.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is work! Im sorry. I dont know what is going on...

I tryied all day.

https://user-images.githubuserconten...d335996524.png
    Last edited by coffeecat; July 3rd, 2021 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Huge image reduced to url

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's a flatpak for freetube. The github project page has links. https://github.com/FreeTubeApp/FreeTube Looks like a node.js desktop app to me.

Also, the license is AGPL on github, so whatever those huge images above are showing are showing a bogus license. I'm not sure I believe the marketing in the "features" list, especially the claims about tracking and privacy. Google isn't dumb. If we access any of their content located on their servers, they are tracking us. Period.

Would be nice of the images were thumb-nailed for low bandwidth people.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@sixmalo, I've reduced your huge images to links. If you wish to include images in posts, please use the forum attachment function - the paperclip icon in the message toolbar. That way you get clickable thumbnails.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can download Freetube .deb package, just click here. And you can follow some installation instruction here if you want. just click here. But you can run the .deb package directly to you Ubuntu using the Gdebi Package. Good Luck.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Currently running the program from the app image on 21.04. The app image needs to be set as executable in properties/permissions by right clicking the package.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have Adblock for youtube; AVG antitrack for the internet and VPN for privacy. I don't see Freetube adding anything to this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have Adblock for youtube; AVG antitrack for the internet and VPN for privacy. I don't see Freetube adding anything to this.
    Adblock and AVG have been caught selling data.

Your browser is keeping all sorts of data, so the only way to protect ourselves from our browsers is by starting with a 100% clean browser install when we don't want to be tracked. This is a never-used-before setup. Never trust "incognito modes." Every browser that attempts to provide incognito browsing has failed. Multiple. Times. For example:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...an-go-forward/

That means we either need to use an in-memory-only file system overlay (firejail does this) or start with a fresh userid each time we want privacy, then remove the userid and all files when we are done browsing. Not hard to script, but putting in all the addons we all like is a hassle.

Not sure how any of the tools can provide the subscription feature from FreeTube. If we use our google/YT logins, then we've given up all privacy. Freetube claims to keep subscription details local and has hooks for both TOR and a proxy server. I'm guessing that someone has access to that proxy data, but it isn't google. A VPN without all the other aspects to reset browser config, not transmit tracking cookies, fudge battery power drain, screen size, and all the other data used by "super trackers" and we didn't actually achieve the desired privacy. The EFF created a tool to give us an idea about how unique our browser is. https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/ Lots of information there. Using 2 different browers, but running inside firejails, my results were:
    Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 254,031 tested in the past 45 days.
    Whether any of the added privacy claims by FT are true is yet to be proven. I'm not thrilled with JS-based applications, but that's a personal bias.

There are no absolutes and each person has to determine what "good enough" privacy means to us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast