Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getting to know ubuntu

Beans

Re: getting to know ubuntu

i guess i'm just trying to get a jump on this before all of a sudden i wind up with win11 and my pc fails to operate as it should. i had that happen with my chromebooks and got in a bind trying to find a pc to use. they say they will keep up on win10 for a few years but that can change fast.

i have a hp probook 6470b win10 20h2 ver. 64bit machine. thanks

Beans

thanks i will go there and download that to a stick and try some of the different linx systems. one you tube is talking aobut the kubuntu version and says that is the best one but i will see i guess. thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

A few points:

1. You might not be in a position to use Win 11 even if you wanted. I find that I need to have TPM version 2.0.
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-...th-the-new-os/

2. There is already an option inside Windows 10 to experiment with Ubuntu. It is called WSL
    Windows Subsystem Linux. The full version of Ubuntu is found in WSL2. But really I prefer a separate installation of Ubuntu in an external SSD, not within Windows.

3. You can also try different versions of Linux in VirtualBox inside Windows 10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    You can also try different versions of Linux in VirtualBox inside Windows 10.
    Virtualbox has my vote. With vbox you can load up as many systems as you like. It has built in backup (snapshots). It's mostly point and click, easy to use. Just a bit of a learning curve at first. I consider minimum system requirements to be: 4core/8G ram and 128G of storage. Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12