Thread: can i use pivpn on ubuntu server for managing it

Beans

can i use pivpn on ubuntu server for managing it

hi

my windows home server 2016 just went up in smoke (metaphorically at least) and i want to replace it by a new system running on ubuntu server with docker and stuff installed. this server will be located in a remote place (meaning in another LAN than my client) and i want to access it via a windows computer.

my idea is to install pivpn and enable SSH, and then connect via VPN and putty to the console so i can install and manage stuff. this idea stems from using pivpn on my raspberry pi in combination with pihole.

will this work out? or do i miss anything?

also, what things should i install using docker and what should i install standalone?
    Last edited by moowii; July 1st, 2021 at 09:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: can i use pivpn on ubuntu server for managing it

Moved to Server Platforms.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Could just SSH directly to the server from the outside. Use Fail2ban and use SSH keys only as authentication. You don't really need a VPN to connect to a server if you are using SSH. SSH is secure. It's what the first 's' in it's name means

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Why use pivpn over openvpn? Just curious. I use neither since I have an enterprise firewall with VPN built-in.

As for Docker vs standalone, I still tend to install standalone apps. If the repositories have a sufficient enough version, I will use the repo first. If not, I will manually install the app. Sometimes I have to install standalone simply because of the server farm design I use. I like presenting a single database server (even if in a cluster + proxy) which means I cannot use ANY of the pre-packaged applications like Wordpress or NextCloud which will install its own database on the application server. I want my app servers to be JUST app servers and have them all point to my robust database server/cluster. If I have a bunch of silo systems, that just means I have to create that many more database-specific backup jobs all over the place.

To me, Docker and the like seem ok for very complicated / dependent installs where you want to mimic the exact environment that it was developed for (e.g. testing) but I have not really found a use case for my environment yet. But I'm not like most other environments so to each their own.

@ActionParsnip, it is always more secure to NOT expose a server to the Internet unless you absolutely have to...and even then, try to stick a proxy between it.

LHammonds