Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Install Borked WIN 10

Beans

New Install Borked WIN 10

For what its worth...I was an Ubuntu user back in the day. So after about 15 years or so decided to see how it was doing nowadays.

Did a quick install from the LiveCD from a USB. Nothing fancy install wise. I just used the Installer. Even kept the default suggested partition allocation. I did select Yes when the installer notified me that a "Win install was detected would I like to install next to it?" .

When I boot it does see the Win partition and if I select it runs the Win auto repair dialogue and fails.

My data is still there because I can mount in Ubuntu and view but it is encrypted so useless unless can get the Win 10 part back up.

Any ideas suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New Install Borked WIN 10

Is dual booting "simple" when either OS is encrypted? Does the release notes cover that situation for the release you are running (you didn't say).

Dual boot is inherently dangerous. Always has been. For years, MSFT would wipe Linux off the drive during installation. It was this standard practice that got me to use virtualization rather than dual booting. Over the years, my host OS has changed from Windows to Linux, but I'm still running both, just with Windows as the guest VM and Linux as the host/hypervisor.

Any ideas suggestions?
    Do you have backups that can be restored?
    Windows issues need to be fixed by Windows tools.

Beans

You haven't indicated which version of windows you are running nor did you indicate if windows and Ubuntu were both installed in UEFI mode or Legacy mode or if you mixed installs. If you haven't resolved this problem, at least post that information.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Title says win10. The other info would be useful.

Beans

Sorry about that. I am running Windows 10. Both WIN10 and Ubuntu were installed in UEFI mode. I used the Ubuntu-provided "installer" tool thinking that would be the simplest and it went off without a hitch until I test booted into both partitions. Ubunto...no problem. Win10...borked... It did prompt re Secure Boot and I did provide a requested password for Ubuntu to set it up.

Beans

Understood and I actually agree in principle but in that case wouldn't it be wise to put that info in the Installer when prompting that Win is detected would you like to use both?

Beans

Yes, I am backed up. But they are encrypted under Win. I can mount and see the encrypted files with no issue. The best solution is to be able to get the WIN 10 partition to boot.

Could Ubuntu have borked the MBR/Boot Configuration Data?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lets see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste the pastebin link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), do not run the auto fix till reviewed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Boot-Repair cannot fix Windows issues, but may show details we need to evaluate configuration.
    Boot-Repair's main fix is just reinstall of grub or update grub menu.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Lets see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste the pastebin link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), do not run the auto fix till reviewed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Boot-Repair cannot fix Windows issues, but may show details we need to evaluate configuration.
    Boot-Repair's main fix is just reinstall of grub or update grub menu.
    Thank you Old Fred. Much appreciated. Here is the pastebin...

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/7GmD8264H5/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ToshibaLaptoplinux View Post
    Understood and I actually agree in principle but in that case wouldn't it be wise to put that info in the Installer when prompting that Win is detected would you like to use both?
    In the last 15 yrs, Microsoft has made all sorts of changes to the way that Windows works. They don't exactly have any history attempting to work with Linux distros for a great boot experience. You may recall when Windows would wipe any prior Linux installations. I do. Then we have vendors who don't follow the standards for UEFI booting. I can't recall if my toshiba or acer laptop required a manual copy of the efi-stub to boot Linux, but it was one of those. I don't think Windows is nearly as hostile towards different OSes as they were, but it is impossible for them (or anyone) to test every possible combination.

Some of the changes: UEFI, Secure Boot, Windows 8+ doesn't close file systems anymore, added advanced file systems that use volume managers and dynamic resizing, added disk encryption and GPT support. That are all huge changes, each needs to be reverse engineered to even work. Alas, SecureBoot and UEFI booting can work with some systems. Dynamic disk volumes under Windows can be mounted, but aren't fully supported. Disk encryption is 1 OS per system - I think - at least for easy setups. The Ubuntu encryption setup in the installer is full-disk-wipe only. People do manually configure it in more complex situations, but not me. Not closing file systems between reboots is something Linux cannot handle. In that situation, it punts. That's a Windows failure with no known work-around except to boot into Windows and disable it.

Rather than dangerously dual booting, perhaps you'd consider using a virtual machine? Today, computers have so much excess RAM, excess storage, excess CPU available that for many workloads, using a virtual machine is 100% fine - even good. It doesn't risk the system boot either, since the VM runs in a well contained storage area under well supported virtual hardware. Some of us have been doing this since around 2007-ish. Abstracting away hardware issues into a VM means never having to fight with drivers, since only the most well-supported devices with extremely well-supported drivers are used in hypervisors.

I understand that Microsoft will update boot settings and re-enable some of the things that break Linux dual boot environments a few times each year. Using a virtual machine avoids those issues too.2

Just putting out alternatives to be considered.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 1st, 2021 at 09:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast