Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I removed VirtualBox but I forgot to remove VirtualBox extensions & guest additions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Exclamation I removed VirtualBox but I forgot to remove VirtualBox extensions & guest additions

I have removed VirtualBox but I forgot to remove the VirtualBox extensions & guest additions before removing the VirtualBox packages. I have deleted the virtual machine and also removed the virtualbox folders inside .cache and .config. Did I left any residue of Virtualbox in my system?
    Last edited by EngineerStrange; June 29th, 2021 at 12:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I removed VirtualBox but I forgot to remove VirtualBox extensions & guest additio

Open your file manager and do a system wide search on "virtualbox".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I removed VirtualBox but I forgot to remove VirtualBox extensions & guest additio

No I found nothing except virtualbox.desktop.json which belongs to snap store. Does it mean that I have no residue left? I mean can it contain something with different name?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerStrange View Post
    I mean can it contain something with different name?
    also search "vbox"
    got to go to work, good luck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The most important thing (after the next reboot) is to check this:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep -i "vbox"
    To ensure that all the VBox kernel modules are no longer there...

The Guest Additions are in ISO format, seen by the VBox VM Guests, to add extensions to them, to make API calls to VBox to give them extra abilities, between the guest and the Host. That installs nothing to the host system. If you wanted to convert those hosts to use on another Hypervisor, you should have removed the guest additions from the guests, beforehand... then use/convert the VM disks. For example, if you convert the VM disks to raw or qcow, you could use them with KVM.

Still...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-is-python3
    Will reset the aliases that VBox setup to use Pyhton2 as it's default... That will reset those, without causing dependency issues. (You can't just uninstall the previous.)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 29th, 2021 at 05:32 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I checked the command you've provided in order to check if VBox kernels are no longer in use and received no output. So everything is okay?
    Btw I haven't done anything with 3-4 kernel modules that I've signed and neither know what to do with those.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

There are many apearring on search as vbox. But these are components of linux-hwe-5.8-headers and linux-headers. Should I remove these packages?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The source... since they are no longer used, they are not doing anything, nor causing any harm. They were installed by VBOx as a depency, in order for it to build the kernel modules..

Since they are no longer needed as dependencies:
    Code:
    sudo apt clean
    sudo autoremove
    ...Should remove them.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Then I don't have to unsign the modules?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast