Thread: Should I use gnome-shell-extensions which are not essential?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Should I use gnome-shell-extensions which are not essential?

Are the gnome-shell-extensions Internet Speed Meter

and
    Bing Wallpaper

by neffo safe? I personally never had any issue when I used them in Ubuntu 18.04 yet unsure if they are totally safe and doesn't consume resources/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Should I use gnome-shell-extensions which are not essential?

Here's my collection so far
    ext.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is your choice. Gnome Shell extensions are external software, not checked by the Ubuntu developers. The risks that may exist, are yours. These risks slightly decrease if you limit yourself to Gnome Shell extensions that are distrubuted in the Ubuntu software repositories (main and universe). See the available ones in Synaptic Package manager or with the command apt search gnome-shell-extension-.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Alternative: use a different GUI that requires fewer of those externally offered extensions? I myself have settled on Budgie and I am very very happy with it.

No more chasing after GNOME extensions after every update , no more UI strangeness, no more missing features that should be there from the get go , no more strange design decisions. A GUI that just works and looks nice and works intuitively.

Just an idea.

Beans

I don't know what you mean by 'essential'. Others may disagree but IMO gnome is not usable without extensions (and no extension can fix the sluggishness), but many extensions are poorly maintained because gnome doesn't care about api consistency and may in fact see these extension as a rude interference with its "design vision", so every new gnome release breaks a ton of extensions that many people use (as of now dash to dock does not work with gnome shell 4 but chances are it will be updated). The internet is littered with unmaintained and broken gnome extensions.

So if I have to use GS I would keep a few core extensions with a good chance to be updated (e.g dash to dock) and that's it. Meanwhile I am a happy unity user in 20.04.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 29th, 2021 at 05:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Actually my life is okay without that too extensions but these are kind of luxurious thing like one is nearly same as bing wallpaper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am using the gui i get on installing ubuntu and i don't know that well if that's gnome or not. But i asked that question as ubuntu is okay without those extensions as well, they just help us to feel happy so i mentioned as non-essential.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerStrange View Post
    I am using the gui i get on installing ubuntu and i don't know that well if that's gnome or not.
    It is. Ubuntu started with Gnome, then used their own Unity desktop for a while, and then switched back to Gnome. There are many Ubuntu flavours that use different desktop environments.