Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardware Accelerated VP9

Beans

Re: Hardware Accelerated VP9

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    I can get VA-API working in Chromium. And it works as "Hardware Assisted" video playback. But what I want to see is VDPAU, which actually uses the Hardware Decoder to playback video.
    That doesn't make any sense. The video acceleration in chromium (and Firefox) is based on libva (VA-API). There is no direct VDPAU acceleration. I'm not aware of any attempt for those browsers to use VDPAU.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. The video acceleration in chromium (and Firefox) is based on libva (VA-API). There is no direct VDPAU acceleration. I'm not aware of any attempt for those browsers to use VDPAU.
    It's possible that I don't quite understand how this all works... but I see VA-API as "Hardware Assisted," and VDPAU as "Hardware Accelerated."

The reason I see it that way, is because Video Acceleration doesn't seem to work for YouTube / Stadia / XCloud / GeForce Now, etc... as denoted in this post:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2463888

YouTube is not really an issue. But the Cloud Gaming Apps (Stadia / XCloud / GeForce Now) do not have a sufficient "Decode" time to keep my stream at 1080p... it always drops to 720p with a lot of block noise.

When I see this in on a friends computer, that runs Windows 10, and has lesser hardware... There are no issues at all. So, if it's not Video Acceleration, what is causing it?

And to get back to the main topic... I'd like to know if current hardware (capable of VP9 decoding, either/or dGPU or iGPU) actually works with acceleration in Linux, and not just "Hardware Assisted" acceleration.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

but I see VA-API as "Hardware Assisted," and VDPAU as "Hardware Accelerated."
    Huh? They are two competing standards.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    Huh? They are two competing standards.
    Ok. So, I don't quite understand how they work. But VA-API doesn't seem to use the video-card's on-board accelerator.

I've tested this in VLC and MPV (SMPlayer). So, is it configured correctly? Am I doing something wrong? How can I fix this?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12