Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Ubuntu becoming more and more resource-demanding than before?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is Ubuntu becoming more and more resource-demanding than before?

Here is someone's law on operating systems and applications, I guess it can be referred to as SLoOSaA
    All software expands to consume available resources.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by josefranw View Post
    Code:
    systemd-analyzeStartup finished in 6.319s (kernel) + 2min 5.844s (userspace) = 2min 12.164s 
    graphical.target reached after 2min 5.792s in userspace
    So .... a low-powered, 10 yr old, 3GB RAM system trying to run the high-end, Gnome3, latest Ubuntu is slow? That doesn't surprise me. I think that OS is slow on a Ryzen 5 2600! with 32GB of RAM!

Code:
    System:
      Kernel: 5.11.0-22-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 
      Desktop: GNOME 3.38.4 Distro: Ubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo)
    The CPU has a passmark of 625. Pretty much any chromebook ever made is faster.
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....00GHz&id=1143

Use xubuntu or lubuntu if you want any hope of performance. On a system like that, I'd probably avoid using any Ubuntu and go with TinyCore instead.
    Is this a laptop? If it is a desktop, for $20-$30 I'd buy a used CPU and 2x the RAM could be installed. Or spend $75 and get a 2013 Chromebook with much more power, RAM, battery, and better video support.
    Last edited by TheFu; June 29th, 2021 at 02:55 PM. Reason: s/be/buy/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

And what applications were running when you used that inxi command; using 1.89G of ram is quite high, depending on what was in use at the time.

However, TheFu is correct; you chose the wrong DE version to install for your hardware. See if things run smoother and faster using Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

Beans

I'd be curious to know what version of windows the OP is using as I don't see it mentioned in any posts. I expect something like XP or vista which would make sense that an OS preinstalled on the cocmputer runs faster than a current OS. Be interesting to see what would happen with windows 10 on that machine.

My experience has been similar to others that various Linux systems boot faster than windows 7 or 10 on recent machines. Updating the BIOS firmware should increase the boot speed but I agree with others that Ubuntu is too heavy and a lighter system needs to be used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    And what applications were running when you used that inxi command; using 1.89G of ram is quite high, depending on what was in use at the time.
    Just chrome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I'd be curious to know what version of windows the OP is using as I don't see it mentioned in any posts.
    Windows 10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Try Xubuntu: you will boot a lot quicker and everything will run quicker. An SSD would help your situation a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I will try Xubuntu. Thanks for your help and support. Unfortunately, I can't just buy a new laptop or even a SSD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Try Xubuntu: you will boot a lot quicker and everything will run quicker. An SSD would help your situation a lot.
    Excellent point. Plus, a 2.5in SATA SSD, which would be compatible with almost any laptop from that time, could be moved to another machine later, provided it also supports 2.5in SATA HDDs.

A new SSD would be the #2 performance boosting solution, after switching to a more appropriate DE (xfce or LXQt). Next would be a newer CPU with a better iGPU which will make video playback possible. Since 2010, the iGPUs on most intel CPUs has really changed the ability to view videos thanks to built-in mpeg2 and h.264 video decoders in the hardware. Chromebooks all come with this newer hardware.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12