Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus on Linux

Beans

Antivirus on Linux

Hi Guy's

Whats you opinion about an antivirus program on Linux, I have heard many that say every desktop should have an AV protection and just as many say its not necessary, your views would be appreciated.

Thanks as always

Jack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Antivirus on Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jackdusty View Post
    I have heard many that say every desktop should have an AV protection...
    At work we have anti-virus on the Linux systems too... but not because we fear that Linux could be infected. It's more to stop Windows viruses from spreading. Because Linux systems might pass on infected files to Windows too, even if the Linux systems themselves are usually immune to those viruses. That's not to say that "Linux is 100% safe". It is not. But Linux's security problems are different from Windows' security problems, e.g. they usually revolve around remote exploits, buffer overflows, unpatched systems that are vulnerable to remote attacks on network services that would be impossible if the system had been patched in time, etc. Linux's security problems usually do not revolve around viruses ("virus" in the same sense as a Windows user would understand that term).

The real question here is: What are you trying to achieve?

Are you trying to protect Windows systems from getting in contact with infected files? Then install anti-virus software on Linux systems too.

Are you trying to improve the security of your Linux systems? Then anti-virus software is borderline useless. You'd be better off subscribing to security mailing lists about "CVE" advisories and making sure all your Linux systems always have the latest patches. And make sure none of your Linux systems needlessly have any ports open towards the Internet, don't run any network service that you don't really need or use. And make sure the ones you do need and do use are properly configured and properly secured.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

For me, This is not really necessary in Linux. If MS Windows really needs desktop antivirus it doesn't mean that Linux really needs it too. As far as I know; Linux Operating system is very different from MS Windows. Though Linux has minority of viruses and malware that exist for the operating system.
    Linux is also known to be much more reliable than Windows or any operating system. In fact, On the official page of Ubuntu, a Linux based OS, it is said that Ubuntu is highly secure. A lot of people installed Ubuntu for the sole purpose of having a dependable OS when it comes to the security of their data and sensitive details. so, why you need av when it is not necessary.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans

+1 to mlk3_08.

You don't really need AV in Linux, as for 'protecting Windows' I think it is a pretty poor reason. First of all Windows users should take care of their own security, I am not babysitting them. Secondly the kind of AV available on Linux (all for scanning Windows virus) are pretty bad anyway, clam comes to mind and that is garbage (on top of hogging your system's resource), if I really care about protecting Windows users I wouldn't count on it anyway, may as well tell Windows users to install a good AV software on their end.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 27th, 2021 at 05:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No AV used here. I have a couple of machines open to the public. Never had a virus in over 10 years. Save you computing power for something useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    as for 'protecting Windows' I think it is a pretty poor reason.
    Management's decision, not mine. That's why I said: "at work". At home I don't use any AV on Linux at all. What for? I'm not running anything that could get infected that way.

Managers are a funny illogical breed. The same kind of managers that mandates that AV software be installed on Linux are also the same managers who somehow forgot we still have some ancient Debian and Red Hat installations that have been EOL + EOS + unpatched for the last 10 years...

If anything bad were ever to happen then I'd expect those ancient EOL installations to be the first targets. There's so many potential attack vectors there... but none of which would be stopped by AV software
    Last edited by scorp123; June 27th, 2021 at 06:12 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    Management's decision, not mine. That's why I said: "at work". At home I don't use any AV on Linux at all. What for? I'm not running anything that could get infected that way.

Managers are a funny illogical breed. The same kind of managers that mandates that AV software be installed on Linux are also the same managers who somehow forgot we still have some ancient Debian and Red Hat installations that have been EOL + EOS + unpatched for the last 10 years...

If anything bad were ever to happen then I'd expect those ancient EOL installations to be the first targets. There's so many potential attack vectors there... but none of which would be stopped by AV software
    Managers are usually tech illiterate. Their firs priority is to get their behinds covered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Managers are usually tech illiterate.
    Very very much so. In their minds making sure there's "AV software everywhere" (even on Linux systems where this normally won't achieve much) is what will "keep the company safe". They totally don't understand that on Linux there are other security issues you should deal with first before getting worried by AV software ...

But oh well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most security questions are answered in the "sticky" threads of the Security sub-forum here.
    Lots of good security links there as well.

The only time I've run AV on Linux is when it was required by a contract for E&O professional insurance. The minute that client contract ended, I dropped the insurance and removed the AV.

There are people who will gladly accept your money for AV software running on Linux, but the system architecture and SOP makes AV unnecessary on Linux systems. If you have daily, automatic, versioned, "pulled", validated and tested backups, then there is little reason to run AV that looks for Windows viruses on a linux system. Of course, you can run it on a file server accessed by Windows clients, if you like, but then why have Windows AV too?

The best AV is only 80% effective on any platform - most are closer to 50% effective, so a smart end-user is really a better solution. User training NOT to click links, not to visit suspicious websites, and not to open unexpected attachments is much more effective. Plus, if an end-user doesn't have sudo or doesn't unlock sudo, there is really very little damage that a virus can cause to any Linux system. About the worst they can do is delete all the files owned by the user. But you have daily, automatic, backups, right? Nothing will teach a user NOT to click on bad links faster than them freaking out because all their data is gone. They will be more careful going forward.

That's a good thing.

If management wants AV and you've spent 30 seconds trying to explain why it is a waste of time without success, then find the most expensive package you can find and recommend that. When they see it isn't $50, but $1500, then they might ask the better question, which is how can we mitigate these risks sufficiently so that AV isn't necessary. But the managers might not be the ones requiring AV. It could be part of a corporate insurance policy, then there is no choice. Find the lightest AV you can. Those contracts usually mandate a supported release, with current signatures, running on supported and patched OSes too. That can be helpful when management doesn't want to upgrade that 4 yr old OS that is about to lose support. Contracts go both ways. Leverage them when you can.

And the answer is:
    daily, automatic, versioned, "Pulled", validated, tested, backups.

Explain that "pushed" backups aren't as secure because the backup client has access to the backup storage. Whereas with "pulled" backups, the backup server has access to the clients storage. This is a 1000 clients to secure vs 20 backup servers to secure solution. Give me the 20 backup servers, professionally managed, without any Luser's having access at all for security every day of the week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast