Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu 20.004 Best VM Software

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    In the terminal type

Code:
    python --version
    Thanks!
    Python3
    But this is a Windows host and Ubuntu guest. KVM is for Linux and not available for Windows so I'm running Virtualbox. Doesn't sound as high tech as KVM, but it works just fine with Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post
    Thanks!
    Python3
    But this is a Windows host and Ubuntu guest. KVM is for Linux and not available for Windows so I'm running Virtualbox. Doesn't sound as high tech as KVM, but it works just fine with Windows.
    OK, I was talking about installing VB in Ubuntu host. In the VM of course the default is python3 since you didn't install VB in the guest.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

VirtualBox was created for desktop-on-desktop virtualization needs by a company before Oracle, before Sun Microsystems, before VT-x/AMD-v CPU extensions existed. In many ways, it is still an excellent technology for what it does.

KVM started out as a simple, Linux kernel, hypervisor for servers. No GUIs. It provided extreme stability. No crashing since the beginning, while supporting nearly all the hardware that Linux supports, with 1 requirement. VT-x or AMD-v CPU extensions are mandatory for KVM to be used. KVM took what QEMU, a software CPU emulator did, and took advantage of crazy-fast context switching that hardware supports. Over time, it has grown from server farms down to desktops. Before around 2015, KVM on a desktop wasn't exactly great. Desktop VM support has gotten better and better and better every 6 months. Between 16.04 and 18.04, KVM desktop support really became excellent thanks to SPICE which is a nearly hardware speed GPU protocol that works both locally desktop on desktop and over a network like a remote desktop. The OpenGL performance for remote desktops is impressive with Spice compared to other remote desktop options. It isn't perfect for all uses, for example, low bandwidth connections.

KVM is used by almost everyone who doesn't sell their own hypervisor. When people rent a VPS, it is almost always a KVM virtual machine they get.

KVM has been tied to AMD64 CPUs for some time. The last few years, efforts to make it work on ARM64 has come along. I've never used nor seen it running on ARM, but there is some hope. I suspect Apple's M1 CPU will be an early winner, though ARM "servers" exist.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    KVM has been tied to AMD64 CPUs for some time. The last few years, efforts to make it work on ARM64 has come along. I've never used nor seen it running on ARM, but there is some hope. I suspect Apple's M1 CPU will be an early winner, though ARM "servers" exist.
    KVM on ARM Servers is well supported since around 2014-2015... Well, announced in 2014. I didn't find it really stable until 2016.

What isn't well supported yet is doing AARM64 guests on x86_amd64's. The code has some bug's still. That KVM/QEMU emulation drives me crazy trying to get them built and working without error's or me wanting to... Well? LOL Yes.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12