Thread: QUEM/KVM mouse integration

Beans

QUEM/KVM mouse integration

So I installed Fedora 34 in KVM (ubuntu 20.04 host) to check out gnome-4.0. It works well except the hot corner and edges don't work ( because they are in conflict with those effects of the host?, say you go the hot corner, it activates it in the host, host DE is unity but it has similar hot corners and edge effects) I tried to uninstall spice-vdagent in guest to disable mouse integration but then the screen resolution become vastly reduced (I guess, spice-vdagent is kind of like guest additions in VirtualBox) and the corner still doesn't work.

In the guest

Code:
    [monkeybrain@fedora ~]$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa/X.org
    OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0, 256 bits)
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.1.3
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 21.1.3
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 21.1.3
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    Code:
    [monkeybrain@fedora ~]$ glxinfo | grep render
    direct rendering: Yes
        GLX_MESA_query_renderer, GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_OML_swap_method, 
        GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, 
    Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0, 256 bits)
        GL_ARB_compute_shader, GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted, 
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_image, GL_NV_depth_clamp, 
        GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted, GL_ARB_conservative_depth, 
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image, 
        GL_EXT_render_snorm, GL_EXT_robustness, GL_EXT_sRGB_write_control, 
        GL_MESA_shader_integer_functions, GL_NV_conditional_render, 
        GL_OES_element_index_uint, GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap,
    And by way of testing the graphics in the guest, I installed the gnome-shell compiz extension and 'wobbly windows' does work (actually that is the only compiz effect in the extension out of the box), the blur background extension also works (strangely that doesn't work in the host with gnome-shell 3 since it doesn't play well with the Nvidia card)

Is there a way to configure the VM so that the corners work in the guest?
    Thanks.

Edited: I mistakenly chose the wrong tag, host OS is Ubuntu, not Lubuntu, don't know how to change that.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 25th, 2021 at 08:15 PM.

Beans

Re: QUEM/KVM mouse integration

You can install the "hot edge" gnome-shell extension in Fedora 34 - then the bottom edge works like a hot corner.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    You can install the "hot edge" gnome-shell extension in Fedora 34 - then the bottom edge works like a hot corner.
    No, doesn't work. The edge and corners just don't work. I think it has something to do with mouse integration. When the mouse reaches the edge or corner it leaves the VM, and if full screen it basically triggers the corners and edges of the host.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 25th, 2021 at 09:11 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    No, doesn't work. The edge and corners just don't work. I think it has something to do with mouse integration. When the mouse reaches the edge or corner it leaves the VM, and if full screen it basically triggers the corners and edges of the host.
    Yes, I have seen similar effects. With Ubuntu Gnome as guest OS fullscreen, the hot corners do nothing. I just use the activities button in upper left, or the super key. Also I have to set the guest dash-to-dock to not autohide or I activate the host's dock instead of the guest dock.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So I installed Fedora 34 in KVM (ubuntu 20.04 host) to check out gnome-4.0. It works well except the hot corner and edges don't work ( because they are in conflict with those effects of the host?, say you go the hot corner, it activates it in the host, host DE is unity but it has similar hot corners and edge effects) I tried to uninstall spice-vdagent in guest to disable mouse integration but then the screen resolution become vastly reduced (I guess, spice-vdagent is kind of like guest additions in VirtualBox) and the corner still doesn't work.

Wait a minute... LOL

I have 20.04 with NVidia on my host... Just to test what you said, I spun up a Fedora 34 guest in KVM... Spice/QRT and virtio drivers...

True, the hot corners don't work in the Virt Manager if it is "windowed." That's because when Virt Manager is windowed, the mouse is not lock insided the window. It can go outside the window to the rest of the host desktop. That's how it should work, so it doen't sense that it hits an edge or corner in the VM.

But in full screen mode, it works as it should on-metal. It then hits edge and corner limits and generates those screen events just fine. Just like it does with a recent Windows Guest on hot edges and corners...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Wait a minute... LOL

I have 20.04 with NVidia on my host... Just to test what you said, I spun up a Fedora 34 guest in KVM... Spice/QRT and virtio drivers...

True, the hot corners don't work in the Virt Manager if it is "windowed." That's because when Virt Manager is windowed, the mouse is not lock insided the window. It can go outside the window to the rest of the host desktop. That's how it should work, so it doen't sense that it hits an edge or corner in the VM.

But in full screen mode, it works as it should on-metal. It then hits edge and corner limits and generates those screen events just fine. Just like it does with a recent Windows Guest on hot edges and corners...
    No, it doesn't work in full screen either because the host is unity and when it hits the edges it triggers effects on the host and I go to a different desktop (the top and bottom edges can be arranged to not trigger that if the VM is opened in the right virtual desktops but GS has no special effects on these edges to test as far as I know) I guess it is the way it is unless I disable the effects on the host. I just want to see what the buzz is all about for gnome-shell 4 anyway so never mind. Thanks for the input. The host here is also 20.04 with Nvidia.

Edited: yeah so if I disable workspaces and the scale addon in unity the corner and edges work. But I was reluctant to change the settings on the host.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 26th, 2021 at 11:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Dang. Duplicate post.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 26th, 2021 at 10:02 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No, it doesn't work in full screen either because the host is unity...
    On my host I use gnome-session, not unity... I wonder if that is the difference?

Beans

I just found out the activity hot corner and hide top bar intelhide work in wayland but not in xorg, using gnome-shell 40 for Archlinux guest here. For Ubuntu 21.04 guest (gnome-shell) hide top bar intelhide works in Wayland but not in xorg and the hot corner doesn't work in either. Host is the same, Ubuntu 20.04 on xorg and with Unity.

But I started the VM with the qemu commandline instead of virt-manager so when go fullscreen the mouse doesn't venture out of the VM.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 8th, 2021 at 06:40 PM.