Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to use AMD hardware-accelerated graphics on Kubuntu 20.04.2

Beans

Re: Unable to use AMD hardware-accelerated graphics on Kubuntu 20.04.2

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara_Macadam View Post
    I don't have Windows so I'm unable to test that. Using a 20.10 ISO and 21.04 ISO, I had the same problem. Again, I first noticed this issue with Arch under the 5.12 kernel, and yet it has somehow propagated backwards into the 5.8 kernel with Kubuntu 20.04.2. The AMDGPU driver itself hasn't been updated in either the Arch repo or the Ubuntu repos for over a year, because it hasn't been updated upstream in that long. It seems impossible for this to be caused by a driver update as a result, because those have definitely not changed. Since the kernel seems to be irrelevant as well, it feels like the issue is independent of the kernel and the driver.

Which has completely broken my brain, honestly...
    Okay, 'was worth a shot. I was going to suggest a Fedora 34 iso next but I am starting to think there's something strange going on. Another poster is suggesting some steps so maybe a new direction is needed.

I was wondering about the drivers and amdgpu & amdgpu-pro. I wonder if it's possible to have both drivers installed or have a conflict. Could you check Software Manager and see the section of 'Additional Drivers' and what is clicked there?

There's something peculiar going on, imho. Like I said earlier, I tried booting 21.04 for an experiment on a system that had similar specs as yours: 2600x, RX 570....the RAM was 32gb, but the main components cpu and gpu was sufficiently similar. I believe I chose the default Ubuntu in grub and it booted no problem.

We both tried the same iso with different results. It is interesting, though, that you can't boot normally with an installed Ubuntu OS or any live iso either. That suggests hardware to me but it's difficult to tell. I still think installing Windows on another hard drive and seeing what happens would be interesting to try.

If you can't get ANY live OS iso to boot properly at defaults with an RX 570, that's really weird. By now, the Rx 570 (Polaris 20) cards are supported by AMD open source drivers - amdgpu - and you shouldn't have to mess with kernel parameters or anything else. The only thing that I remember one might want is upgraded/updated Mesa.

What is your psu? What is the gpu, exactly? What is your display hardware - monitor or TV, etc.? Just curious.

Did this problem just happen recently? Or the first time you installed Ubuntu with this card? You said that Arch had the same problem - at the very beginning? Was there any upgrades or updates done - did it ever boot up properly or from day one trying the OS?
    Last edited by linuux; June 29th, 2021 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Adding another question

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i assume you have amdgpu and that you didn't patch kernel with AMDGPU-pro or anything like that?

you could try kernel parameter:
    Code:
    iommu=soft
    it should affect you as you don't have an APU, but you never know.

here is another solution to a similar problem: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1135...-load-on-19-04

another option is you do actually install the pro drivers: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers...426676/page/18

quite possibly some bug in AMD driver: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=200695
    but you could try the workaround:
    Code:
    amdgpu.dc=0
    here is a patch for ni output: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=209721
    i came to it from Manjaro (arch based) forum: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/what-is-...-need-it/32813

you could also try loading all updates. maybe the patch is in kernel?!
    Thanks for trying to help. I didn't think of those angles.

My question regarding the question "maybe it's a bug or relating to a driver problem" is I cannot find similar problems across this forum or any other place. I checked this forum, Pop OS, Fedora, OpenSUSE forums and other sites - askUbuntu for e.g. - but, I cannot find similar experiences with mentions of 'bug' or anything relating to a bug impacting users of Rx 570, Rx 580 or Rx 590 video cards.

I would expect a bug to at least affect a number of users provoking similar posts. Wouldn't they?

Yes, we all have different hardware but the OP's hardware is pretty common - Ryzen 2600x, Rx 570.... for it not to boot even a live iso and output the same problem as the installed system, I thought was strange.

Then, maybe I don't know what I am talking about. That's always a possibility but I am trying (to help), anyway. :=)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    but you could try the workaround:
    Code:
    amdgpu.dc=0
    This has done the trick! I have visual output on the display, and the amdgpu driver is loaded. Also vsynctester.com is displaying at 60 fps, and not around 42 fps like it was without amdgpu.

I'll put some more hardware info here, fortunately I made a list a while ago of every component in the system:
    Code:
    Case: Cooler Master K282
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with Wraith Stealth cooler
    Motherboard: Asus Prime B450 Plus
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 Gaming 4GB
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 MHz Black
    PSU: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650W
    Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray Writer 16x
    Memory Card Reader: Icy Box 863-A Card Reader
    Wi-Fi Card: TP-Link Archer T4E-AC1200
    USB Expansion: Orico 5 Port USB3 PCI-E Expansion Card
    SSD: Crucial MX500 250GB SSD
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD
    Also the monitor is a BenQ GW2270H.

Obviously that kernel option isn't exactly ideal - I'm not sure what it does, but it seems like it'd be better to just avoid it. (Maybe it is a kernel bug after all?) However, as my graphics are now working (and I don't know what I would use Display Core for anyway), I'm happy.

Thanks everyone!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara_Macadam View Post
    This has done the trick! I have visual output on the display, and the amdgpu driver is loaded. Also vsynctester.com is displaying at 60 fps, and not around 42 fps like it was without amdgpu.

I'll put some more hardware info here, fortunately I made a list a while ago of every component in the system:
    Code:
    Case: Cooler Master K282
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with Wraith Stealth cooler
    Motherboard: Asus Prime B450 Plus
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 Gaming 4GB
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 MHz Black
    PSU: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650W
    Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray Writer 16x
    Memory Card Reader: Icy Box 863-A Card Reader
    Wi-Fi Card: TP-Link Archer T4E-AC1200
    USB Expansion: Orico 5 Port USB3 PCI-E Expansion Card
    SSD: Crucial MX500 250GB SSD
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD
    Also the monitor is a BenQ GW2270H.

Obviously that kernel option isn't exactly ideal - I'm not sure what it does, but it seems like it'd be better to just avoid it. (Maybe it is a kernel bug after all?) However, as my graphics are now working (and I don't know what I would use Display Core for anyway), I'm happy.

Thanks everyone!
    Awesome to hear! I'm glad you found something that works/helps. I'm glad mastablasta volunteered his expertise....I wouldn't want you going down a rabbit hole with my crappy advice.....haha....

I am interested in his solution/advice. I'll have to look into it. I might have an RX 550 or RX 570 in the future - hopefully. Keep us updated with any new developments - if anything changes! Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

kernel bug then it seems.
    here is what you did:

drm/amd/display - Display Core (DC)

Because it is partially shared with other operating systems, the Display Core Driver is divided in two pieces.

• Display Core (DC) contains the OS-agnostic components. Things like hardware programming and resource management are handled here.
    • Display Manager (DM) contains the OS-dependent components. Hooks to the amdgpu base driver and DRM are implemented here.

It doesn’t help that the entire package is frequently referred to as DC. But with the context in mind, it should be clear.
    When CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC is enabled, DC will be initialized by default for supported ASICs. To force disable, set amdgpu.dc=0 on kernel command line. Likewise, to force enable on unsupported ASICs, set amdgpu.dc=1.
    To determine if DC is loaded, search dmesg for the following entry:
    Display Core initialized with <version number here>
    on the other hand it could be that your system does doe snot have supported ASICs. ASIC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applic...grated_circuit

anyway must be some switching in kernel not working correctly. i mean there is so many people where card works flawlessly and so many people with issues. i hope they fix it soon.

also as long as things are working ok, you should be fine...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12