Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving old SSD to new Lenovo MiniPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Moving old SSD to new Lenovo MiniPC

I also crave simplicity.

Therefore, this is my suggestion:-

Leave Windows 10 on the nvme drive (it is already UEFI and GPT) and install Ubuntu on your second drive.

Refer to the observations in my post 10 about UEFI and Windows 10 settings.

Existing Windows and then Ubuntu on Separate Disks

De-activate, disconnect, isolate or physically remove existing OS drive so that only the target drive is accessible
    Boot Ubuntu live and check that you are in UEFI mode:-
    Code:
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "UEFI" || echo "Legacy"
    Create GPT on your target disk using gparted
    Open gparted > Device > Create Partition Table > Select gpt
    Allow the installer to automatically create the necessary partitions (or your preferred configuration)
    Boot each system independently via UEFI boot screen (ideal not cumbersome)
    Boot priority can be controlled by UEFI
    Each OS should be installed in UEFI mode with GPT
    Each drive should have EFI partition
    Each drive should have boot manager (Windows Boot Manager and Grub for Ubuntu)
    De-activate, disconnect, isolate or physically remove one drive so that you can check if the other boots independently (and vice versa)

Beans

Yeah but this means I am going to have to install Linux on my HD instead of the nvme.

And this is not the priority we were talking about: having my mostly used os (Linux) on the fastest drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoPau View Post
    Don't have a preference between having both os's on the same nvme or each on a different drive. I'd care about making it simpler, since I am not so keen for hacking on the computer for hours in order to run my Linux on the new computer
    You mentioned that you don't have a preference, yet you do have a preference.

Both OS on same drive, please refer to observations in post 10.

Beans

Yep, I wasn't considering the option of having Linux on the second drive since priority was to have Linux on the fast nvme drive.

Great, so I assume I am going to have to start from scratch and then rsync (or cp?) all my home directory and manually install all the packages? Or maybe firstly install packages, then rsync/cp home dir in order to overwrite the settings files...?

Isn't there any tool that allows to somehow automate the installation of the packages, settings files, graphic environment settings, etc?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My rsync backup script file includes this export also. The dpkg list is a very long text list of all applications and the dependencies.
    If upgrading, you may want to edit it to remove obsolete, old kernels or others. It will not re-install anything already installed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ngSamePackages

Follow all the suggestions by tea for one as those are what we have found need to be done.
    Remove esp flag from Windows before install to second or external drive - Tim Richardson
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1698...056079#1056079

Posted work around to manually unmount & mount correct ESP during install #55 or( #23 & #26)
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1396379
    Others suggest disconnecting all other drives physically or logically in UEFI settings, so install drive is first drive.
    Or removing boot flag/esp flag from first drive, so only ESP is install drive. (I have not had that work, but others have.)
    Or if you have ESP on second or external drive, you can just reinstall grub, either manually or using Boot-Repair's advanced mode & full reinstall of grub to correct drive.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I stopped doing OS migrations. I just did new OS installs and installed whatever apps were needed. It was much faster.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    My rsync backup script file includes this export also. The dpkg list is a very long text list of all applications and the dependencies.
    If upgrading, you may want to edit it to remove obsolete, old kernels or others. It will not re-install anything already installed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ngSamePackages
    Hi, I am trying this dpkg command but when I do set selections I get a whole list of "unknown packages".

I need to say that I am going from groovy to hirsute, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exported file should look like this:

Code:
    accountsservice                    install
    acl                        install
    acpi-support                    install
    acpid                        install
    adduser                        install
    adwaita-icon-theme                install
    #IF you get this error:
    dpkg: warning: package not in database
    sudo apt-get install dselect
    sudo dselect
    -> Update
    -> Install
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Done, and rsynced the home dir.

Was incredibly fast considering the new nvme drive.

Your script looked like skipping lxqt, but then manually installed.

This time I ended up using one single partition for / and home, opposite to what I've been used to.

Windows is booting also.

Thanks for helping me out!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123