Thread: Whatsapp For Desktop

Beans

Re: Whatsapp For Desktop

None give voice and video calling

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jackdusty View Post
    None give voice and video calling
    Just use a phone. that is the normal use case anyway. If you must and have a Windows license set up a VM (I don't think you can make calls from any android emulator but I can be wrong)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 23rd, 2021 at 07:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Just use a phone. that is the normal use case anyway. If you must and have a Windows license set up a VM (I don't think you can make calls from any android emulator but I can be wrong)
    Don't know, but that would be surprising, since there are VoIP apps that work inside Android emulators on Linux. I've done it.

Can't test the WhatsApp aspects. Won't load any of the major social network/tracking apps on my phones.
    The main reason I can see for wanting this is to have automated dialing or automated chat ... which would be possible using cness for the dialing and any of the the other options can do chat. With VoIP, an asterisk/freeswitch server can be used by hundreds of different people concurrently. I had Skype-Out setup for about a year to replace both older VoIP and POTS phone service long ago. It was just before MSFT bought Skype and it usually worked, but I wouldn't bet a business on it. Dumped that for a quality VoIP provider and never thought about it again. Use phones through an ATA, computers, tablets, cell phones all through VoIP with that service from all around the world. Normal SIP traffic over an openvpn tunnel back home to my server there before hitting the service provider. About 1 in 30 times, the VPN connection doesn't work. It used to be much worse.

The point is there are all sorts of methods, but none are a 1-click install and none are a direct, 1-for-1 replacement that makes the OP happy. Let your inner nerd free and there are lots of options.

I wish you all luck.

Beans

I once tried an electron-cointained app emulating Whastapp web. It was quite slow, so I ended-up using Whatsapp web directly on my browswer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12