Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia / GPU Video Acceleration

Beans

Re: Nvidia / GPU Video Acceleration

Did you refresh muon after you added the ppa? Or in command line run sudo apt update after you added the ppa.

I made a fresh install of kubuntu 21.04 in a VM and added the ppa, updated then installed chromium-browser. Chromium 91 installed from ppa without problem, it is not the snap (ver 85). See attached. I have not modified the system in anyway other than running the post installation updates. In particular I haven't removed any snap package.

If you still have problems please post the exact commands you use to install the ppa version of Chromium and the terminal outputs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 8th, 2021 at 03:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    In Chromium go to about:flags and enable override software rendering then restart it with

Code:
    LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=vdpau VDPAU_DRIVER=nvidia chromium-browser --use-gl=desktop --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder
    OMG! That worked! This made YouTube use my built-in Hardware Decoder right in the browser! I had to change "chromium-browser" to "brave-browser-stable," to accommodate the browser I am using, but it worked!

I have the h264ify extension in the browser as well, to make sure that YouTube sends H.264 Video, but it finally worked!!!

However, it still does not work with Stadia. I have the Stadia Enhanced Extension, and can force Stadia to use H.264 instead of VP9. Unfortunately, it still does it in Software. Any ideas why one would work, but not the other?
    Last edited by Shibblet; July 8th, 2021 at 04:42 PM.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    However, it still does not work with Stadia. I have the Stadia Enhanced Extension, and can force Stadia to use H.264 instead of VP9. Unfortunately, it still does it in Software. Any ideas why one would work, but not the other?
    I think h264ify works only on Youtube.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think h264ify works only on Youtube.
    Correct. Although, the Stadia Enhanced Extension will allow you to force H.264 or VP9.

Either way, Stadia still only runs in Software mode.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

Did you try chromium? Many people on forums say it works. I attempted to set up a trial account to test it but they want my payment options so I aborted.

Edited: BTW I just installed the brave-browser and went to Youtube with the same flags, didn't work.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 8th, 2021 at 07:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

However, it still does not work with Stadia. I have the Stadia Enhanced Extension, and can force Stadia to use H.264 instead of VP9.
    would it work with geforce now?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    It doesn't work with anything besides YouTube, using the h264ify browser extension.

I have tested Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Paramount+, and Amazon Prime for Streaming Video Services. Strangely enough, the Netflix Previews work, but the actual movie stream does not...
    I have also tested Stadia, GeForce Now, and XCloud for Gaming Services.

Stadia uses H.264, but for some reason the browser doesn't decode it with VDPAU. Stadia runs in H.264 Software Mode.
    I assume (loaded term, I know) that the other services are all sending VP9 streams by default.

I wonder if this whole situation would be resolved if I could just get a new Video Card capable of decoding VP9. But unless I feel like paying Triple the retail price, I am stuck with what I have.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

I wonder if this whole situation would be resolved if I could just get a new Video Card capable of decoding VP9. But unless I feel like paying Triple the retail price, I am stuck with what I have.
    According to Archwiki Firefox can be configured to use vaapi decoding if use nouveau instead of the proprietary Nvidia driver (I only use it on an old intel machine, works there) I don't know how old your Nvidia card is but if it is old and you don't need things like cuda maybe it is worth a try. My GTX1070 is capable of decoding vp9 but then the cpus are so powerful that I can handle all streams with ease even without GPU acceleration, so I haven't really experimented with vaapi until reading your threads.

BTW Kodi uses vdpau out of the box. I know you can stream through it for something like Youtube, not sure about the gaming situation.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 9th, 2021 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    The issue is OP has to work through a browser and it seems that on Linux there are very few options for hardware decoding in browsers. AFAIK they all use vaapi and involve hacks that may stop working after an update.

So far Chromium 91 installed via its beta ppa works both for intel and Nvidia, in Nvidia it uses vdpau-va-driver. In my tests I use the vdpau-va-driver-vp9 version since my GPU is vp9 capable, but now Chromium simply blocks all vp9 contents, that maybe a bug in vdpau-va-driver-vp9. Firefox vaapi works on Intel machines (and presumably ADM too) but not on Nvidia if the proprietary driver is installed (works in Nouveau according to others' experience)

Chromium is not an optimal solution IMO, it has other issues, it seems sluggish for browsing (instead of watching videos). For a while Chromium based browsers like Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi and Brave reportedly work if compiled against Chromium >=89 but I have tested them and none of them work now (based on Chromium 91) In Chrome's case maybe Google screws us once again, not sure about the others. Brave is supposed to be build on Chromium with vaapi patch so maybe a bug in Chromium (vaapi doesn't work in ver 92 in dev branch ppa)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 9th, 2021 at 08:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My GTX1070 is capable of decoding vp9 but then the cpus are so powerful that I can handle all streams with ease even without GPU acceleration, so I haven't really experimented with vaapi until reading your threads.
    Again... thank you for the help. I think we may have got about as far as we can at this point.

Audio Drivers have come to this point. Sound processing takes us so little CPU cycles, that there is no point (really) to have additional sound processing hardware. Not unless you are doing sound editing, or need specific equipment. For basic playback (i.e. what you normally do with music, videos, and games), your CPU can decode in real time with VERY minor usage of the CPU. Back when MP3's first came out, it was a different story. Small file size, but it required a lot of CPU usage to decode and playback.

Now, your CPU can decode video with very small amount of CPU cycles, so for most "playback" options, it's not a big deal. i.e. DVD (480p) Playback can be done on the CPU with little impact. 1080p needs more CPU, but it can do it. And 4K requires too much CPU to do it on it's own.

This is why video cards like my GTX780ti, have hardware decoding built in. VDPAU will decode up to 1080p 60fps video on the video card without using the CPU. This frees up the CPU to do other things like process sound, window management, etc.

My problem is the "Decode Speed" for game streaming. It jumps up to 7+ ms, and then drops 1080p down to 720p to keep up. With Hardware Decoding, the decode speed stays under 2ms, and keeps the picture at 1080p. (Tested on a friends Windows 10 computer)

So, I guess for the time being, I will just have to settle for CPU decoding, and live with 720p, until such time as I can either get a new GPU (at a reasonable price) or whole new computer. Looking at a Ryzen 5 5000 series with iGPU.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast