Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nvidia / GPU Video Acceleration

Beans

Re: Nvidia / GPU Video Acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Chromium is not an optimal solution IMO, it has other issues, it seems sluggish for browsing (instead of watching videos). For a while Chromium based browsers like Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi and Brave reportedly work if compiled against Chromium >=89 but I have tested them and none of them work now (based on Chromium 91) In Chrome's case maybe Google screws us once again, not sure about the others. Brave is supposed to be build on Chromium with vaapi patch so maybe a bug in Chromium (vaapi doesn't work in ver 92 in dev branch ppa)
    I take this back. Now with further tests it turns out vaapi does work in Google Chrome, Brave and Vivaldi and all don't have the laggy problem of Chromium (Chromium is slow in general and it struggles to load video as if internet is being cut off when vaapi is enabled, not the others!) The reason why they didn't work before appears to be due to crappy libva driver in Ubuntu 20.04.They all work now after upgrading these packages with this ppa.

This could be good news for those struggling to install Chromium (and tbh its performance is bad)

The ppa updates xserver-xorg along with other things, so it may be risky. I did it on an old laptop which I can afford to resinstall when it comes to worst, so do it at your own risk.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

FWIW, the situation is likely to get better in the future. Vulkan is cross-platform and implemented by all modern hardware, and has recently gained the ability to handle decoding video streams. This blog post has some details about implementing that functionality in GStreamer. I expect that browser developers will pick this up instead of using different paths depending on platform and hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Vulkan is cross-platform and implemented by all modern hardware, and has recently gained the ability to handle decoding video streams.
    let's hope so.

i n the mean time my card doesn't support vulkan, because they sneaked old chip into new card and sold it as new model.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

FWIW, the situation is likely to get better in the future.
    Well, I certainly hope so. I have been planning on getting a new PC for years now... but the one I currently own still runs like a top! However, I am starting to run into these little issues here and there, like Hardware Acceleration (hence the thread).

I'd like to get a Ryzen 5000 Series CPU, but not really sure if Hardware Support for Linux (i.e. VP9 Decoding) will actually work. I wish there was a way to load up Kubuntu on a PC before I purchased it, so I can see if it actually does what I need it to do.

Vulkan is cross-platform and implemented by all modern hardware, and has recently gained the ability to handle decoding video streams. This blog post has some details about implementing that functionality in GStreamer. I expect that browser developers will pick this up instead of using different paths depending on platform and hardware.
    I really like Vulkan. And it is a major benefit to the Linux community. Unfortunately, whenever a great new API comes out, Microsoft tends to fire back with new DirectX implementations that leave things like OpenGL and Vulkan in the dust.

I don't meant technologically. They may be better API's... but if your game studio wants to make an XBox release of your game... it is going to have to be done in Direct X. And console releases are where the money is at. Currently, I think the only console that does support Vulkan is the Nintendo Switch, and they aren't about to share their IP's with ANYBODY.

I just can't wait to see a RayTraced version of Super Mario! (Ahem... Sarcasm)
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    I really like Vulkan. And it is a major benefit to the Linux community. Unfortunately, whenever a great new API comes out, Microsoft tends to fire back with new DirectX implementations that leave things like OpenGL and Vulkan in the dust.
    meh, i just play older games. not so much time at hands anyway. i went to replay some older ones i likes, thinking i will cruise through faster, but it stalled in most of them. i went Arx Fatalis on Opensoruce engine, replayed Morrowind (that one i actually finished main quests) and oblivion i did the Shivering isles and KOTN quests + few sides ones, but main quest is still open, GTA: SA replay is also stuck at about 3/4. i ddi manage to finsih Total war Medieval small camaign. I din't like the game as much as Rome.

i am currently playing CS:GO to relax after work. and also Subnautica (to relax) but this one is getting close to end (i am at 3/4 as well here). During weekend when i have more time we play coop games with kids (Synergy, L4D2, Minecraft...).

plus many new games don't bring much to the old concepts. ok slightly better graphics, nicer cut scenes, but that's about it. at it's core game is same as previous iteration that might work fine via proton or otherwise. the only one i would like to try from the newer ones is CoD warzone, but i see there are already plenty of cheaters there, so... i also tried Doom 2016 and new Wolfenstein on my kids PC and well graphics are impressive, but games play is kind of boring. maybe Red Dead 2 and Witcher series would be interesting, but i am not sure i have the time to play either. i have a really low end GPU but old games work just fine.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    meh, i just play older games. not so much time at hands anyway. i went to replay some older ones i likes, thinking i will cruise through faster, but it stalled in most of them. i went Arx Fatalis on Opensoruce engine, replayed Morrowind (that one i actually finished main quests) and oblivion i did the Shivering isles and KOTN quests + few sides ones, but main quest is still open, GTA: SA replay is also stuck at about 3/4. i ddi manage to finsih Total war Medieval small camaign. I din't like the game as much as Rome.
    Yeah, I don't get into games as much as I did before. And my current computer seems to run even more recent titles very well. This is why I really like the concept of Cloud Gaming. Just buy and play, no hardware required. Since we all seem to have amazing internet these days.

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    plus many new games don't bring much to the old concepts. ok slightly better graphics, nicer cut scenes, but that's about it. at it's core game is same as previous iteration that might work fine via proton or otherwise. the only one i would like to try from the newer ones is CoD warzone, but i see there are already plenty of cheaters there, so... i also tried Doom 2016 and new Wolfenstein on my kids PC and well graphics are impressive, but games play is kind of boring. maybe Red Dead 2 and Witcher series would be interesting, but i am not sure i have the time to play either. i have a really low end GPU but old games work just fine.
    Yep. Agreed. They don't make nostalgia like they used to.

I find the same concept with Cell Phones. Little better camera, quasi-faster processor, iffy battery... just call it the next generation, and people will flock like seagulls to buy it. i.e. "All hail iPhone! (insert Samsung/Motorola/etc. here)"

There are very few games that I truly enjoy. Most of the ones I have, I tend to play for a couple of hours, then drop out bored... The last few that I truly enjoyed were Skyrim, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, and Tomb Raider (2016). I played through "A Plague Tale: Innocence," and I think I didn't get bored of this only because it was short enough to finish before I did. It is truly an amazing achievement for an indie game though.

Regardless. I found myself doing something I think we all do currently. I was purchasing games on Steam that I "wanted" to play. However, I just never got around to them. When I say we all do this, I don't necessarily mean with games, we all tend to do it now with Streaming Services like Netflix, Disney, Hulu, Paramount, Amazon, etc...

Disney+ members spend $69.99 a year to WAIT on the next season of "The Mandalorian" (or whatever series) and then binge it in a week. Same with Paramount+... Still waiting for Season 2 of Star Trek Picard... but I've paid for the service for over a year. Forget it... I'm done.

My wife and I just had a discussion about which ones of the services we actually use on a regular basis. We dropped every one except Amazon Prime, since she actually uses the shipping service for her business.

Wow... how do these threads get off point again?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345