Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should NVIDIA be avoided?

Beans

Re: Should NVIDIA be avoided?

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    surely you mean that hardware manufacturers did a poor job in supporting linux here. It's their hardware, their drivers. they chose not to support linux from the start. nvidia just said sorry, we don't support linux. why would this be linux fault? it is amazing to me that nvidia could not support, but a rag tag bunch of people made bumblebee project and behold, somehow, someway optimus can actually work. and they didn't spend millions of USD to develop it. if nvidia does not have resources and can't see the benefits, i would understand that, but to not give a helping hand to people who can do it for them is ridiculous.

AMD APUs work great. they are not just in laptops but desktop to. with current GPU prices, i am a bit sad i didn't go with APU during upgrade. at least i would have new GPU chip on the APU and it would at least support Vulkan and run some newer light GPU games well.

EDIT: my kid has Ryzen 5 3500U paired with nvme. it works amazingly well for the games he plays. i checked and even this old APU can run Doom 2016 (on low settings) if i increase the ram to 16 GB and make it dual channel. which i might do, but i need to save a little bit of money to exchange the nvme into a bigger one as well. at the moment he is running most games from USB3.0 SSD drive.
    Fair point. You have everything working with MX Linux, then?

I was wondering if you tried 21.04 with the 'Additional Drivers' software method - after enabling non-free software repository of course - then choose Nvidia version 470.57 or whatever is the most recent there.

I am not sure how they handle the dual Intel switching - but combined with the Bumblebee software (I linked to in my previous post) - it might work? (Nvidia lists version 470.63 as the latest driver - as of today - for MX450 so it's clearly supported).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Should NVIDIA be avoided?

i am using Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE). they all installed and work well on nvidia (but these are desktops with older ryzens + nvidia card) as well as on systems with APU AMD (E450 and Ryzen 3500U).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Arrow Re: Should NVIDIA be avoided?

I've an older system with an nVIDIA® nForce® 780a SLI that I'm prepping for projector duty in a house of worship, and Tesla and earlier is a crapshoot, nVidia Corporation having dropped support for Tesla at LinUX Kernel 5.4. 340.108 having been declared a WontFix (I had occasional lockups with the stock C77 64-bit geForce® GPU in the MCP78 northbridge), I've a long-term project to split the 340 Source consistently with, and backport fixes from, current drivers, but that may take several years.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234