Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New installer ready for test

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

New installer ready for test

If You download the ISO from http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/daily-canary/pending/ and select 'try Ubuntu' in the dash you can find both old and new installer, try it!
    Attention: if You install you will have Ubuntu canary (a developer version?) with many apps missing from standard gnome install.

Beans

Re: New installer ready for test

Miners in the UK used to take a caged canary down with them. If there was gas the bird would stop singing and fall off its perch. [no need for monty python fish jokes here]
    A simple easy to observe safety test.
    Does this perhaps define Canary?
    I'll give it a whirl as soon as today's version is available.

Beans
    Hidden!

Interesting

I zsynced the daily canary pending file and checked how it plays with mkusb.

I made a persistent live drive with mkusb version 12 alias mkusb-dus, and there is a new feature. The first time I booted into Ubuntu Canary, I entered a wizard, that gave me an opportunity to configure the system (e.g. keyboard, user name, password). Next time I booted, I arrived at a login screen like a typical installed system. So it was not the typical live user 'ubuntu' with numeric ID 999 and no password.

See the attached screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sudodus; June 24th, 2021 at 09:37 AM. Reason: minor edit

Beans

I could only find the usually offered installer.
    ...but it would be interesting to see how the proposed version is proceeding.

Beans
    Hidden!

The new installer,

Code:
    ubuntu-desktop-installer
    can be found via command line or by entering install in the search window for applications,

Activities -- Type of search -- 'install' -- select 'install RELEASE'

The other alternative, 'install Ubuntu ...', starts the old ubiquity installer.

-o-

But this installer failed for me (could not find the internal SSD in a Toshiba laptop). Maybe it works in some virtual machine (e.g. VirtualBox or KVM)? Ubiquity works as expected from the same canary iso file in the same computer. (The iso file is dated 2021-06-23).
    Last edited by sudodus; June 25th, 2021 at 02:11 PM. Reason: 2 alternatives 'install RELEASE' and 'install Ubuntu ...'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In the live from http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/daily-canary/pending/ in the dash you find 2 installers: the old Ubiquity and the new one.
    Tying the new installer from the ISO dated 2021-06-15 10:10 the screen for Keyboard layout is empty so i can't select a keyboard and continue with installation.
    ... will try a new ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I gave Canary a try with persistent USB's made using Rufus, UNetbootin, Etcher-(manual persistence), and mkusb. I could not get YUMI and UUI to install it. I have not got around to Ventoy or hand made ISO install.

mkusb made the only USB that started for me with Set Up?. It's a great option as long as is it ends up as an option.

Am I missing something with Setup?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    I gave Canary a try with persistent USB's made using Rufus, UNetbootin, Etcher-(manual persistence), and mkusb. I could not get YUMI and UUI to install it. I have not got around to Ventoy or hand made ISO install.

mkusb made the only USB that started for me with Set Up?. It's a great option as long as is it ends up as an option.

Am I missing something with Setup?
    You know as much as we about this new feature. I saw no direct way to get away without walking through the setup when the persistent live system was made with mkusb-dus. But you can use mkusb-plug to get a persistent live system without this new feature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Why does it happen just on mkusb?

Beans
    Hidden!

@C.S.Cameron,

I discovered it, but I have no idea why [this setup feature is activated in persistent live drives created by mkusb-dus].

It might be controlled by a boot option. I did some testing with mkusb-plug (tried with/without some of the boot options), but could not activate this setup feature. I have not tested all possible combinations of boot options created by mkusb-dus and mkusb-plug and those present in the canary iso file. Another thing to test is 'grub-n-iso' alias iso-boot, which is rather similar to what is made by mkusb-dus. So if you have the time and patience ...

Otherwise, if we really want to know, we can try to find and ask the programmer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast