Thread: Airplane mode on when powering up the computer

Beans

Airplane mode on when powering up the computer

Hello All
    On my new Lenovo 15G2 ITL machine, running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, now, when I power up the laptop, the airplane mode is on.
    It was not like that when I got the computer a few weeks back. Airplane mode was off and the Bluetooth mouse was running fine.
    Then, the Bluetooth was shut down on boot up for a while (I had to log in to turn it on and get the mouse working.
    Then, since a week, the WiFi also is off on boot up.
    I can't find a hardware reason for this and nothing wrong in the BIOS about this. I Can't find a reason on the syslog messages about that either.
    So I need your help and advice on what to check to troubleshoot this annoying behavior.
    Many thanks in advance for your help !
    Have a nice day and stay safe !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Airplane mode on when powering up the computer

I vaguely remember there being a difference in how networking is handled. There is system-level controls which can start networking before a login happens and there are per-user network controls, which doesn't connect until a user session is active. The second is more convenient for laptops, since individual non-sudo users can manage wifi connections. It also lets the system save the battery by disconnecting wifi and bt connections when they aren't active.

But I could be wrong.

By any chance, were any power settings modified recently? Perhaps power-saving mode?

Beans

Re: Airplane mode on when powering up the computer

Hello TheFu !
    You were right. My problem came from a power saving software set to "extreme". The software I installed a few days ago is slimbookbattery from Slimbook Ubuntu laptop maker from Spain.