Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: How do I get to "download" ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Beans
    101

    How do I get to "download" ?

    OK , I bypass "File manager" phony security by command
    sudo nautilus

    That gets me to "snap" which I have no clue what it does and do not care.
    How do I get to "Download" folder from there?
    I do not see it anywhere.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Beans
    198
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: How do I get to "download" ?

    FileSystem>home/your user name/...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Beans
    101

    Re: How do I get to "download" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post
    FileSystem>home/your user name/...
    OK, after "sudo nautilus" I get two pane display and on left I have "Filesystem root" (sic) then "home" then user (?) / name and then I get to the "Download".
    Now the downloaded file is pretty small so I do not get any indication it was copied , but it did. SUCCESS

    PS
    I have made an error skipping your entry and reading all the social chat my post created first.
    Some factual, some entertaining. I find it puzzling why some folks are more worried
    about MY system security and miss to really answering the post question.
    My next project is to write AI software "how did the answer matched the question? "

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Beans
    198
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: How do I get to "download" ?

    That's wrong, did you not read my post. You can brick your machine without the -H. Or don't you care.
    Last edited by dddman; June 19th, 2021 at 03:49 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I think I'm here! Maybe?
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: How do I get to "download" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post
    That's wrong, did you not read my post. You can brick your machine without the -H. Or don't you care.
    If anneranch's machine is running 20.04 or later version of Ubuntu it is actually safe to use sudo nautilus and not bother with the additional -H in the command.

    Prior to 20.04 (or maybe 19.10, I can't remember when) using sudo for a GUI application, particularly the file manager, could change ownership of files and folders in your home to root, completely removing your ability to login to the system as user.
    Changes to the way the system uses sudo means that the danger of that happening has now gone so it should be safe as far as that problem is concerned.

    However, if anneranch is not even aware of how to navigate to Downloads in the home folder after opening nautilus as root, I wonder if it is safe to be using the file manager as root at all, because it would be far too easy, if you're not totally sure what you're doing to completely kill the complete OS.

    Change ownership of home files and folders, can be easily put right if you know how.
    If you inadvertently made such changes to files and folders in the root file system it would mean a reinstallation as ownership and permissions of root files and folders is extremely varied and can not be repaired with a simple command. They are not all owned by root and some very specific permissions needs in order to work.

    So, the point of all this, and what I meant by my comments
    You really should care about what you are doing, particularly when using sudo for anything!
    And it what way is that "phony security"?

    What do you need to use the "sudo nautilus" command for; what are you wanting to do?
    was that if you do not already know the answers to the questions you asked, you certainly should not use command sudo nautilus as it will put you in a very dangerous position with the ability to kill your system with just a simple action.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; June 19th, 2021 at 03:47 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Beans
    198
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: How do I get to "download" ?

    Well nuts, I thought I found something.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    51.8° N 5.8° E
    Beans
    6,008
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: How do I get to "download" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by anneranch View Post
    I find it puzzling why some folks are more worried
    about MY system security and miss to really answering the post question.
    Two selfish reasons:
    1: Once your computer is hacked and turned into a bot, it will annoy all internet users, including us.
    2: If you repeatedly break your Linux-based operating system, you might decide to tell other people how horrible it is. This discourages other people from using it, and the less people use Linux on the desktop, the less support software and hardware vendors will provide.

    I guess you don't care about the other reasons we might have, but I've alluded to them in post #9.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1,961
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: How do I get to "download" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Two selfish reasons:
    1: Once your computer is hacked and turned into a bot, it will annoy all internet users, including us.
    2: If you repeatedly break your Linux-based operating system, you might decide to tell other people how horrible it is. This discourages other people from using it, and the less people use Linux on the desktop, the less support software and hardware vendors will provide.

    I guess you don't care about the other reasons we might have, but I've alluded to them in post #9.
    Yes, good observations - well made

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I think I'm here! Maybe?
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: How do I get to "download" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by anneranch View Post
    OK , I bypass "File manager" phony security by command
    sudo nautilus

    That gets me to "snap" which I have no clue what it does and do not care.
    How do I get to "Download" folder from there?
    I do not see it anywhere.
    You really should care about what you are doing, particularly when using sudo for anything!
    And it what way is that "phony security"?

    What do you need to use the "sudo nautilus" command for; what are you wanting to do?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Beans
    198
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: How do I get to "download" ?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •