Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get to "download" ?

Beans

How do I get to "download" ?

OK , I bypass "File manager" phony security by command
    sudo nautilus

That gets me to "snap" which I have no clue what it does and do not care.
    How do I get to "Download" folder from there?
    I do not see it anywhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How do I get to "download" ?

FileSystem>home/your user name/...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by anneranch View Post
    OK , I bypass "File manager" phony security by command
    sudo nautilus

That gets me to "snap" which I have no clue what it does and do not care.
    How do I get to "Download" folder from there?
    I do not see it anywhere.
    You really should care about what you are doing, particularly when using sudo for anything!
    And it what way is that "phony security"?

What do you need to use the "sudo nautilus" command for; what are you wanting to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post
    No, not specifically.

I was wondering what was meant by that "phony security" statement and I was also commenting on the "I don't care" attitude of the original poster.

While there may be sensible uses for a file-manager run as root, it is absolutely imperative that the user knows exactly what they are doing and why they need to do it.
    Too many times in this forum we have seen users asking questions after doing something that was neither necessary nor appropriate for the problem they were trying to solve.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The answer is to click on File System, then home, then on the folder with your user name, and then you will see the folders called Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Public, as well as Snap, and also Templates & Videos.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

OP might find a two pane file manager useful to try out.
    I use Krusader but there are several others.
    They are similar to Total Commander in Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nautilus is a two pane file manager and in the left pane it gives easy access to the default home/user folders. But when we load Nautilus using the sudo command it does not give easy access to those default home/user folders even though it still remains a two pane file manager. But the access is there.

I do not know the reasoning of the Gnome developers in making Nautilus work this way. Perhaps they think that a person running Nautilus using sudo needs to proceed especially carefully and determinedly.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Downloads is just a directory. You can navigate to it.

When you run a file manager with sudo, it's environment changes. The Downloads directory for the ordinary users is defined (usually as $HOME/Downloads), but that of the root user isn't. On the most recent Ubuntu versions, sudo also sets your home directory ($HOME). On older version only if specifically requested with the -H option. The home directory of your ordinary user is usually /home/username, that of the root user is /root. As root never uses a GUI session and never downloads anything, root doesn't need a Downloads directory.

As for "I don't care" attitudes, if you only care about the immediate solution of your problem, you won't learn about the background and won't learn to solve your problems on your own (or prevent problems). On this forum we don't normally give immediate solutions to problems, hoping the user will come back for as many new problems as possible. That's for commercial support. We try to educate the user so that some day the user won't come back with new questions, but with answers. That more interesting to us.
    Last edited by Impavidus; June 19th, 2021 at 03:15 PM. Reason: -H, not -h

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just a added note on this ..
    Nautilus is a two pane file manager
    Nautilus is not quite the same as two pane file managers such as Krusader (my choice), Double Commander, Midnight Commander.
    In Nautilus, clicking on a target (e.g. Downloads) in left navigation pane opens it in right pane.
    But in the other managers a project folder can be fixed in right pane and the left pane can be used to navigate to target (to transfer content).

[P.S.]
    I must not forget the four pane manager. https://www.4pane.co.uk/

And finally.. Krusader has an option .. Tools > Start Root Mode Krusader (Alt+Shift+K)
    Last edited by dragonfly41; June 19th, 2021 at 11:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast