Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Originally arch user, Having problems with Prime and wayland on my new ubuntu install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Originally arch user, Having problems with Prime and wayland on my new ubuntu ins

Quote Originally Posted by kz-n View Post
    If I can downgrade to the LTS version I'd gladly do that.
    There is no path to downgrade from Ubuntu 21.04 to Ubuntu 20.04 - Fresh installation required

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Originally arch user, Having problems with Prime and wayland on my new ubuntu ins

Quote Originally Posted by kz-n View Post
    Optimus is a bad idea until you take into consideration laptops :/
    The idea's good. Have a performance part that's turned off most of the time to save power. ARM's little-big works OK. Optimus, though, is having two completely different graphics stacks that can't actually communicate with each other, and the high performance part can't actually be turned off. Nvidia's Linux support of Optimus for a decade was "go stick your head in a pig."

You can't downgrade; it would have to be a fresh install. It doesn't sound like you've done that much that you'd need to redo, and the fresh install is, like, 15 minutes. You'll probably be fine on 21.04, though, since that's what you've got, but in general I'd recommend new users go for the LTS releases: the interim releases are for the testers and guinea pigs.

Having the proprietary driver installed is a necessary first step. You've not given any detail about how you were trying to do so. You shouldn't try to download anything from Nvidia's site, but you're coming from Arch rather than coming from Windows, so you'd probably have known not to do that anyway.

The repositories have the driver packaged up for Ubuntu, and there's a PPA that gets them before they go into the standard repository. There's an automatic tool that can pull from either of those, but I've never used it.

Beans

Question Re: Originally arch user, Having problems with Prime and wayland on my new ubuntu ins

Update, It seems my option to start my session with Ubuntu on Xorg disappeared, I only have "Ubuntu" now which I'd guess to be Wayland, How can I fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

In Ubuntu 20.04, the session choices are:-

Ubuntu
    Ubuntu on Wayland

Is it different for 21.04?

You can check which session you are using by opening a terminal and entering:-
    Code:
    echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12