Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which VM and setup should i choose to run a demanding program like Gigapixil AI?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Which VM and setup should i choose to run a demanding program like Gigapixil AI?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    It does know that a new virtual GPU has been provided. I switched the virtual graphics hardware from a generic VGA to a QXL driver a few years ago. QXL is used by SPICE, which can make the fastest non-passthru hardware solution for virtual machines. OpenGL framerates are much better using QXL and SPICE than with any other virtual solution I've seen. It is faster, by far, than x2go/NX protocols which blows away rdp and vnc stuff.
    Not to completely derail the thread, but did you need to do anything special to get OXL working? I've been using either "default" or "vmware" for my Displays and I haven't really thought about it since I normally don't access the console.

@OP: I can't really recommend anything other than either dual booting with Windows (which can be a pain), or installing Windows onto an external SSD and then booting off of it if you want to use Ubuntu as your main OS.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which VM and setup should i choose to run a demanding program like Gigapixil AI?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Not to completely derail the thread, but did you need to do anything special to get OXL working? I've been using either "default" or "vmware" for my Displays and I haven't really thought about it since I normally don't access the console.
    It is QXL (qxl), not OXL. What needs to be done depends on the guest OS. For Linux desktops, the qxl drivers are there and "just work". For Windows, you'll need to install the Redhat drivers. I've never tested qxl graphics performance under Windows, but it is definitely snappy. Windows still sees it as a fake hardware driver and Microsoft programs refuse to play media using it, but other vendors/programs work fine in my extremely limited testing. https://www.spice-space.org/download.html seems to be the place to get Windows stuff.

Perhaps my memory is faded and installing the spice server and spice agent on the remote system is necessary too. I don't recall, but the qxl stuff is part of the qemu-kvm-spice and xserver-xorg-video-qxl programs.

Also, using either virt-manager or virt-viewer is required, since other desktop viewers don't support SPICE. I've posted my virt-viewer scripts here before:
    $ more ~/bin/regulus
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    GO=regulus
    if [[ $HOSTNAME == "hadar" ]] ; then
        # For local connection on hadar ; hadar is usually the VM host.
        /usr/bin/virt-viewer -a -d  $GO &
    else
        # For remote connections on the LAN
        /usr/bin/virt-viewer --connect qemu+ssh://hadar/system $GO &
    fi
    The Redhat Windows drivers include virtio drivers for a NIC and for disk controllers. For the NIC, it is a good idea too, but for the storage controller, if Windows ends up in safe mode, using the SATA or SCSI drivers will make life easier for a few % of extra overhead. When Windows refuses to boot, trying to load the "extra drivers" is necessary for virtio disk controller to work. Just another hassle. It has been less important since that VM doesn't run 24/7/365 anymore like it did with 7MC to record OTA TV like it did for about a decade.

Between the SCSI and SATA controller emulation by qemu, there is little difference for home users. SATA does have a lower device limit than what the SCSI emulation supports. Performance, I don't recall any difference. I think the SATA limit is at least 10 devices. SCSI is hundreds of devices. Just depends on what you need and how the back-end VM storage is actually setup. For Windows, I use file-based back-end storage. for Linux VMs, an LV block device is presented to the VM.

We should probably not hijack this thread any more. For the OP, the OpenGL version supported via spice appears to be v3.1, but I've never cared much about the GL support level.
    On a physical machine with a 1030 GT nvidia GPU:
    Code:
    $ glxgears 
    Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
    approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
    270 frames in 5.0 seconds = 53.930 FPS
    271 frames in 5.0 seconds = 54.150 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.948 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.947 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.949 FPS
    On a VM with a virt-viewer full desktop:
    Code:
    $ glxgears 
    6380 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1275.865 FPS
    3834 frames in 5.0 seconds = 766.648 FPS
    2701 frames in 5.0 seconds = 540.048 FPS
    2575 frames in 5.0 seconds = 514.863 FPS
    3209 frames in 5.0 seconds = 641.702 FPS
    The VM isn't high end.
    Code:
    $ inxi -GxC
    CPU:       Topology: 2x Single Core (4-Die) model: AMD EPYC (with IBPB) bits: 64 type: MCM SMP 
               arch: Zen rev: 2 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
               flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 13973
                Speed: 3493 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3493 2: 3493 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Red Hat QXL paravirtual graphic card driver: qxl v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: none unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
               resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes
    Not a super fast VM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thanks for the info. I've got a setting for SPICE on Proxmox, but I haven't played with it much. I might have to check it out.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I learned something new today!

Hey, this will not work for the OP because he doesn't have the right hardware, but... I found a KVM driver that does full VGPU, that will allow installation of native graphics drivers and does it's own internal passthrough to the hardware GPU on it's own, while sharing (without requiring a second GPU).

There is a catch... (There always is.) It was written by Intel. Requires 5th through 7th(?) Gen Intel iCores that have integrated Intel GPU's. I looked at GitHub and it is active.

2018-Q3 RELEASE OF KVMGT (INTEL GVT-G FOR KVM)

KVMGT: a Full GPU Virtualization Solution
    Intel® Graphics Virtualization Technology (Intel® GVT)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 21st, 2021 at 12:00 AM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been watching that project for a few years. Every demo I've seen has lasted a few minutes, then crashed. It is impressive for 2 minutes at a time.
    There is currently insufficient test coverage, so please bear with some stability issues
    Gotta love that. Every release includes "stability improvements."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Oh Dang! Gotta hate when that happens... LMAO!!!

What I was thinking is that my Desktop is AMD Opteron 16core, 32GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti... All that and I can't use "that" solution... LOL
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 21st, 2021 at 03:30 AM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12