Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alternatives to Catfish File Search?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: alternatives to Catfish File Search?

Mate-search-tool

No indexing required and its fast. Should work on xubuntu, I installed it on my ubuntu. The mate utility package is required.

sudo apt install mate-utils

I'm guessing it will show up in your menu or your menu editor If not, use the terminal command:

mate-search-tool

To bring it up and add it to your launcher.

mate-search-tool.jpg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post
    Mate-search-tool

No indexing required and its fast. Should work on xubuntu, I installed it on my ubuntu. The mate utility package is required.

sudo apt install mate-utils

I'm guessing it will show up in your menu or your menu editor If not, use the terminal command:

mate-search-tool

To bring it up and add it to your launcher.

mate-search-tool.jpg
    Thanks, it's better than the other alternatives and it works fast, no indexing, so finding documents with this will be as easy as Catfish, even though I still prefer it over this, I'll be using this for the time being, so thanks.

I've reported the Catfish bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...h/+bug/1932240

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I feel that you did not give SearchMonkey a good workout. I must reply even though you have found a satisfactory solution.

I launch SearchMonkey and I see a rich set of search parameters (including Regexp).

by name
    by content
    by size
    by date

Regarding your observations

like when I did a search, it did find the file, but when I tried to click on the file from the search window, it didn't open the file and going to the file's folder location, it didn't open my file manager. Also, there's no option to copy the file to another location.
    Settings > Configuration > Default Applications

allows
    Default text editor - e.g. Geany
    Default folder explorer - e.g. Thunar (is your File Explorer here?)
    Default web browser - e.g. Chromium

On your point about "no option to copy the file to another location" (not raised in first post) this is achieved in one of several ways:

Right click on selected file to choose:

1. Edit (File) - which launches the file in Geany where it can be edited and saved.
    2. Copy (Filename) - which places the absolute filepath into clipboard and then you can use this in a terminal command
    3. Explore Folder - which launches the file in Thunar (or other Explorer).

In summary I don't think that you explored Settings in full.

However I do use other search methods from time to time including bespoke python script. And also the Locate python extension in Albert (a very useful tool for multiple uses).

Because I often shuffle around project folders frequently in development desktop, tools such as Recoll require reindexing.

Another fast search tool (name and content) is ripgrep.

Horses for courses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12