Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing new NVIDIA drivier

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Installing new NVIDIA drivier

NVIDIA has released a new driver that we work with GeForce 310 graphics adapters. I downloaded the .run file, did the chmod +x and ran the ,.run file as suso su.

I get the following error:You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing. When I do a google search on that phrase, it get numerous hits, some pf which contradict each other. So, would someone please give me step-by-step instructions for 21.04.

I also tried adding the driver through http://ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu/ . The only packages listed for NVIDIA 340 are transitional. I installed several of thse, but clearly I don't know what I am doing.

Current video driver is X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver . However, this does not help performance.

All this applies to a DELL Vostro 3500 laptop
    Thank you

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing new NVIDIA drivier

Okay...

From #5 on, in this post should get you going to run that NVidia script: Installing NVidia Binary Drivers

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your help. i followed your instructions, but somewhere i messed-up big time. I cannot log into Ubuntu. I have tried recovery mode, etc. Fortunately, I have other PC's and the same pc with the problem ubuntu has Win XP Pro on it so i can get to all my files on the ubuntu side.

BTW, Ubutnu comes up in the video mode and asked me to log in. When I do, it says something like opps, you have a problem

So, how do I get back to a working Ubuntu on my DELL Vostro 3500?

Thank you,
    John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, the binary driver was probably the incorrect driver. So now the Linux Graphics Layer is "confused" because it has that incorrect driver installed... Not a problem. Some more work... but everything is still there. Be patient and take a breath.

On the Sticky you were in, the one in my Signature line, go post#3. At the Table Of contents, select the option to "Temporally Boot into a TTY Terminal." From there, navigate to where your nvidia install script "is". Use the up arrow, repeatedly, until you get to the command you used to install the script... It should still be in the CLI History.

Edit the command to use "--uninstall" as an option. It will uninstall. Reboot and you will be back to where you were.

Once you do that... Tell me how it went. I will "help you" find a good driver for your card.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Things did not work so well. Fortunately, had everything backed up on SpiderOak so i was able to get important file sent out. I used the Yannbuntu boot repair CD to get the PC to boot, so I think I have the right kernel running. However, I did get the Oh No scree again after logging in. So, I need help moving on from that. The message your referred me to was from 2011, so i didn't go there as i am running 21.04.

I tried installing the nvidia driver again. Installation went much further than it has before. Listed below are error messages:

BUILD_EXTMOD=/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.107/build/uvm...(bad exit status: 2)
    ERROR (dkms apport) : binary package for nvidia:340.107 not found
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel :
    5.11.0-18-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/340.07/build/make.log for more information

When i retried the installation and chose not to have dkms support, I am told that the rivafb driver conflicts with the NVDIA driver, please reconfigure your kernel and *disable* rivafb support, then try installing the NVIDIA kernel module again.

Looks like this job is for a super expert om drivers and kernels.

What should I try next?

Thank you for your help.

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

LOL. I sent you there (to that last post), to boot temporarily to a TTY Text mode... because those instructions for that are still the same... And to back out of what that NVidia Installation script installed, you need to kill the Graphics Layers (shut it down), so that you can go back to that script, and instead of executing it to "install", if you used the same command and then give it a space, then "--uninstall", then it will uninstall all the pieces it installed and revert whatever it "chanced." Their scripts change, and evolve, so without seeing the specific script you installed from, I could not tell you what exactly "it" did.

Did you do that?

*** As someone else, put it so nicely:
    First, make sure you have uninstalled all drivers so you don’t get any conflicts.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 17th, 2021 at 03:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The only recent/latest NVidia Linux driver that I see that supports your GeForce MX330 is 440.64.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you. I have GeForce 310. Driver is 340.07,

In any case, how do I get back to a running pc with the nouveau driver?

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

After you uninstall the script you installed... Rebooted.

Then:
    Code:
    sudo lashw -C video
    Post the results...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Drivers do not auto delete previous installs.
    So if you install a different driver, you must purge old driver first.
    We typically do not suggest to download the .run file from nVidia as you then have to reinstall with every kernel update. If you install from Ubuntu repository, it automatically is added to newer kernel.

Uninstall the .run nVidia driver.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/2199...nvidia-drivers

Until correct nVidia driver is installed, you often need nomodeset boot parameter. Ubuntu installer now offers Safe Graphic boot & install of proprietary driver, so nomodeset not required with latest versions.

At grub menu you can use e for edit, scroll to linux line and replace quiet splash with nomodeset.
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 - both BIOS liveCD & grub first boot ( also UEFI with grub)
    How to add boot parameters, grub menu after install (also grub when UEFI)
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters &

#To see video:
    lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12
    sudo lshw -c display
    sudo lshw | grep -A 11 display
    #What is installed
    dkms status

# Shows standard repository versions, which is the same as
    System Settings, Software & Updates icon, Additional drivers tab
    With 18.04, the only way I can get to this now is with Software Updater & Settings.
    ubuntu-drivers devices

If newer driver required, latest are quickly added to ppa.
    https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
    # make sure system is up to date
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update

# If later you do not want ppa, how to uninstall ppa
    sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

# should show newest versions available in addition
    ubuntu-drivers devices
    You then can manually choose any in list.
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-XXX
    Last edited by oldfred; June 17th, 2021 at 05:05 AM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast