Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB installer hangs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: USB installer hangs

Memory and CPU are the top of the line tested options from Samsung / Intel according to this link on the ZOTAC support page: http://downloads.zotac.com/mediadrivers/mb/cpu/a146.txt

At the time I originally built this PC as set top box, I wanted top of the line and spent way too much. The thing booted win 7 in seconds, and had NO lag. Still should be viable even by today's standards. I had another MSI system I was using for a server that is a couple years newer, but it seems to have gone bad. I wanted to try this out before purchasing something new.

I'll look into updating firmware. I may very well be on the latest firmware already - I tend to recall updating it at least once. A lot of love went into this machine at the time.

Beans

Did you MD5 test the ISO you downloaded or use Torrents? How did you make the USB stick? What steps / applications / commands did you use?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On video, a different display/monitor is not going to make any difference.

No, AMD GPU is good and usually Linux friendly as that goes. If in question, I would try a nomodeset boot option and see if it makes a difference.

@ActionParnsip's post, he already booted this same USB successfully to a 5 year old Laptop... So I suspect that the image may be good good.

BUT, what he did not say, was if that laptop was UEFI (which was well around 5 years ago) or if it was set to Legacy Boot... Which this specific 11 year old board is NOT UEFI. Wqs the key made for MBR or UEFI?

Next, looking back, I see that when this board was new, that this board successfully ran vanilla Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and OSX Snow Leopard 10.4, so I suspect it just needs a few tweaks. 11 years ago, there was some chipset hardware advances that made things a bit challenging. And they weren't always "standardized. But the kernel in Ubuntu LTS 10.04 was before 11.04, where KMS came into the kernel, and things got a bit specific about booting options and hardware. Most of those things have been added to the kernel now.

*** I suspect that ensuring the USB key is MBR boot and add "nomodeset acpi=off" to the kernel boot line to see if that works. If that works, then kept using the nomodeset option, just until you get the video driver installed after reboot.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I attached an old win10 drive from my dead system and it booted without me having to install. I got the bios updated and that seems to have done the trick. I can now get to the Ubuntu server installation. Thanks guys.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Good to know that the BIOS upgrade got you going on a current Kernel. Good Luck.

Remember to mark this thread as Solved in the Thread Tools link at the Top Right of the thread so others can find your solution.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12