Thread: LibreOffice Writer - new document won't

Beans

LibreOffice Writer - new document won't

Is there a chance for this to get corrected ?
    Or will I get - "it is 3rd party software " excuse ?

Ubuntu gives options to "New Document" when LibreOffice icon is clicked on desktop.
    But it goes thru "normal" stuff of LibreOffice and NOT directly to "new document".

So it does not do what is advertised.

Suggested reply

yes, it is 3rd party software nothing for Ubuntu to fix
    post a bug - it will get fixed in version 30.05 - maybe

PS
    If possible limit your other comments to ONE line .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: LibreOffice Writer - new document won't

What normal stuff does it do?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am running LibreOffice 7.1.3.2 under Ubuntu 21.04 and it works fine.

Did you check for updates to 7.1.3.2?

John

Beans

I'm not at all clear what the OP is saying happens when you click on "New Document". What actuall happens? It appears something opens but what?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have three installs of Ubuntu and in two installs each LibreOfiice component has its own icon on the launcher. If I right click the icon and select New Document that is exactly what I get - a blank open writer document.

I recently had an other install of Ubuntu that had a single combined icon in the launcher. Click the icon and a windows opens. It has a panel on the left side that includes options to load new document windows. Most of the window was taken up with images of recently used documents that I could click and that document would open. I think this is the "stuff" that the OP is talking about.

Strangely, I recently re-installed that version of Ubuntu 20.04 and I ended up with a single Writer icon in the launcher. The answer to the OP's problem is to open Writer, Calc & Impress and with a right click on each icon that appears in the launcher select Add to Favourites. Then the icon will remain in the launcher and a click on the icon will load a new document window.

The combination icon can be removed from the launcher by a right click and selecting Remove from Favourites.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I am not sure why is it so challenging to follow the original post.

I am not aware of "MULTIPLE FUNCTION icons " or whatever you have called it. But that is NOT the issue.

Allow me to repeat - when I click on the icon I get a choice of "New document " - then I expect a new document to open.
    That is simply not happening and it does not matter what the actual response is.

Beans

Hirsute comes with LibreOffice 7.1.2 not 7.1.3
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/hirsute/libreoffice

Did you install the debs from the LibreOffice website?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You posted that is goes thru normal stuff LibreOffice does but never explain what that normal stuff is.
    As if anyone knows what you mean.
    For me, normal stuff is it loads the LibreOffice logo splash screen and then shows the new and empty LibreOffice writer window.
    But I don't know if that's what you mean.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Allow me to repeat - when I click on the icon I get a choice of "New document " - then I expect a new document to open.
    That is simply not happening and it does not matter what the actual response is.
    My suggestion, since it's "not happening":

Install the Flatpak version of L.O. - I use it instead of Ubuntu 2004's version of L.O. And yes, it does launch and open an "Untitled" new document when you select that option from the LO writer icon. Most likely to work for you, since it installs with its own resources.
    Attached:
    1) LibreOffice Flatpak Dock Icon - Rt. click to open a particular application. Otherwise you will get a window of recent documents of all LO applications. From there open one of those or choose new document type from side panel.

2) Once opened, LO writer has its own dock icon. This one has the "New Document" option.
    Attached Images Attached Images