Thread: The old icon problem: any advancements?

The old icon problem: any advancements?

Hi,

I use Xubuntu 20.04-64 and Nemo as file manager. I want to associate a file type (be it .c, .c++, .py, .f90, whatever) to a specific icon from one of the many icon collections I keep on my computer. Once and for all, in such a way that as soon as a file from a specific type is created it receives a previously-defined icon characteristic of its type. No need to change one by one, manually, every time a file of a certain type is created. There was an application (alacarte?) that would do that, but it has long been discontinued and no longer works. What should I do?

Thanks!Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: The old icon problem: any advancements?

Quote Originally Posted by Fausto Arinos Barbuto View Post
    Once and for all, in such a way that as soon as a file from a specific type is created it receives a previously-defined icon characteristic of its type.
    The named icon for a file type is specified in the MIME-type entry; if the icon theme you're using has that file, that's what will be displayed, otherwise a more generic one will be used. It's been that way for over a decade.