Thread: noatime - nvme drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

noatime - nvme drive

Running 20.04 mate. My nvme/ssd has a number of partitions on it each with their own UUID. In fstab I include noatime:

Code:
    # / was on /dev/nvme0n1p2 during installation
    UUID=35d5b79d-ae24-4c02-8d96-4ae452ed88d1 /               ext4    noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    Should I also include noatime for all the other partitions? So:

Code:
    # /home was on /dev/nvme0n1p3 during installation
    UUID=d9203686-5296-45b7-9691-ce778a122e5d /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
    becomes

Code:
    # /home was on /dev/nvme0n1p3 during installation
    UUID=d9203686-5296-45b7-9691-ce778a122e5d /home           ext4    noatime,defaults        0       2

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: noatime - nvme drive

I don't use noatime on modern SSH drives (connected via NVMe or SATA). I am looking forward to the replies in this thread ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Back in the day, when SSDs had a very limited number of writes they could do, noatime (don't write the last-accessed time to the file) extended the life of the drive. These days, though the number of writes is still finite, the number of writes is much bigger; you'll likely stop using the drive for other reasons before you run out of writes. So noatime is less of a big deal.

If you're trying to extend the life by not writing the last-accessed time to files on your / partition, then you probably don't want to be writing the last-accessed time to files on your /home partition, either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My first SSD was about 10 years ago, a tiny 60GB boot drive of unkown manufacturer from Microcenter computer store, store brand.

So I have used noatime for all SSD mounts and relatime for all HDD mounts.
    It was my understanding only a few apps (mutt for one), needed the update time. I have not used any apps that I know of that caused issues.

I also use noatime for all flash drive mounts with full installs to flash drive.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.