Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid-range Laptop Recommendation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Mid-range Laptop Recommendation

Dell (my favored) currently has 600+ listings for open box (new or like new) computers @ eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...at=177&_fsrp=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

About "open box"

I should mention my current Dell cost new in 2018 $1700. I purchased it new (open box) in 2019 for $800. And yes this was an eBay purchase through a third party vendor. Dell also sells refurbished and for reasons unknown 3rd party vendors are usually cheaper.

ps
    It came with the Dell one year warranty.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I'm using a ten-year old Lenovo Y570 with an i5 and 6GB. Kubuntu 21.04 runs fine. I did replace the hard drive with an SSD which improved performance. It has dual Intel/NVIDIA graphics. I leave it in the NVIDIA mode.

I would never spend more than $1,000 for a brand-new laptop these days that is intended to run Linux. Linux runs fine on generic hardware. Unless you're planning on running compute-bound tasks (like 3D rendering or running big simulation models), I don't see any arguments for high-end hardware. Most of the time the computer is waiting for the dummy behind the keyboard to tell it what to do.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12