Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 Grub replaced by Debian Grub and the VM does not connect to the network

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 Grub replaced by Debian Grub and the VM does not connect to the netw

I tell you what. I have just had an epiphany, that might save us some time and head aches. From what you are doing and what you said, there are a whole lot of unanswered questions on what happened to your VM.

Do not "tell" me the translated results of these. Cut and paste, then wrapped them within code or quote tags please
    Code:
    lsb_relelase -a
    uname -r
    sudo apt-cache show *-desktop

## Then create these two text files to attach to a post or put into a PasteBin
    cat /var/log/apt/history.log | tail -n 100 >> ~/Documents/apt.log.txt
    cat  /var/log/sys.log | grep -i "NetworkManager\|woopsie" >> ~/Documents/net.log.txt
    Why, because something either miraculous or very devious happened to your VM that defies all realms of known reality. Somehow this image died, then reincarnated as something else.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 Grub replaced by Debian Grub and the VM does not connect to the netw

i tried following this
    https://linuxconfig.org/netplan-netw...-for-beginners

to configure netplan and then tried
    sudo netplan try

but there is not netplan package installed to try it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

From what you posted... Iit is still using the GUI Network Manager as the renderer. Go through the Xfce menu's to find it. Configure for now in (settings > Network > "Connect Automatically" (DHCP).

Then from a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo netplan generate
    sudo netplan apply --debug
    Tell me if your networking comes back up...

EDIT: Saw your last post... No NetPlan Installed??? But netplan is the default in Ubuntu since 18.04... See what I said about it resurrecting into something else?

Please post the results of post #11
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 16th, 2021 at 01:57 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If, for some reason, the first command (lsb_release) does not work, then do
    Code:
    sudo hostnamectl
    That will show more information, and show for any recent branch of Linux, using systemd.

Beans

The requested info can be fetched from these links.

apt.log.txt
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1qm5g5yw6...t.log.txt?dl=0

apt_cache output
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rxt9hojx9...e.log.txt?dl=0

sys.log file was not found

Code:
    admin@VM:~$ cat /var/log/sys.log | grep -i "NetworkManager\|woopsie" >> ~/Documents/net.log.txt
    cat: /var/log/sys.log: No such file or directory
    admin@VMx:~$ lsb_release -a
    bash: lsb_release: command not found
    admin@VM:~$ unanme -r
    bash: unanme: command not found
    admin@VM:~$ uname -r
    5.8.0-53-generic

admin@VM:~$ sudo hostnamectl
    [sudo] password for admin: 
       Static hostname: VM
             Icon name: computer-vm
               Chassis: vm
            Machine ID: 0dc2967f828f4ef8aa271d327086898c
               Boot ID: 9c1df06d9b8d4497962d5a43b500b823
        Virtualization: oracle
      Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
                Kernel: Linux 5.8.0-53-generic
          Architecture: x86-64
    Last edited by slickymaster; June 16th, 2021 at 09:56 AM. Reason: code instead of quote tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You didn't post the new text files that were created into your home directory.

** "uanme" was (your) typo. Should have been "uname". I went back and checked what I typed. It was correct. No matter the last hostnamectl command answered what I needed to know from that.

*** AND you did not answer me if, when you mount the system from a LiveCD Environment, if you still have networking!
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 16th, 2021 at 03:36 AM.

Beans

When I mount the file system in LiveCD environment, I still have networking but I cannot access package vis apt-get command.

the clipboard in the VM just does not work even after enabling bidirectional sharing. So I have to generate the files in xfce mode, then boot into LiveCD and upload those file from the browser as that is the only time networking works.

the dropbox links contain apt.log.txt and output for "udo apt-cache show *-desktop"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think you need an alternate plan... You are 2 day into this...

Two options. Each would start with a recovery plan.

Preamble:
    1. Take a snap shot now...
    2. Create a new, small virtual disk and attach it to your VM. Get into the LiveCD Environrment. Partition it and create an Ext4 filesystem. While you are in the Disks app, note the path to mount the partition there. Mount it. Copy everything from your home, so you don't lose anything.
    3. Generate an installed package list via this (but modify that to how you mounted it with the path)
    [code]dpkg --get-selections >dev/sdb/backup/installed-software.log

Option #1:
    Restore from your snapshot.

Option #2:
    Install fresh. There are some sub-options here...
    (a) You can either install here using your second disk as your new home, but select not to format it, so it just mounts it and uses whatever is there without destroying it. But if you do that wrong, it will.
    (b) Or (safer), use instructions from almost anywhere to mount the second drive as your new home after the install is completed...

Post Recovery:
    if you reverted your snapshot, restore your home directory form the second drive.

If you installed fresh. mount the second drive as your home.

Install any programs not there from your installed package list.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 16th, 2021 at 04:18 AM.

Beans

Thank you for your support MAFoElffen.

I reverted to an old backup of VM and setup my software again. It was all done in a couple of hours and definitely faster than the troubleshooting we did in the last couple of days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12