Thread: error processing package ndiswrapper-dkms

Beans

error processing package ndiswrapper-dkms

I seem to be stuck on an issue with ndiswrapper. I can't seem to install any packages, I always end up getting the following error (error replicated below with "sudo dpkg --configure -a"). I believe completely uninstalling ndiswrapper is a viable option, but I can't seem to do that successfully either, it doesn't even appear to be a recognized command. Any guidance on what to do next would be greatly appreciated, all other posts I've looked at haven't led my anywhere yet. I am rather new to Linux so if I am missing something obvious, please let me know and thank you in advance.

Post below:

user@user:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Setting up ndiswrapper-dkms (1.60-6ubuntu0.2) ...
    Removing old ndiswrapper-1.60 DKMS files...

------------------------------
    Deleting module version: 1.60
    completely from the DKMS tree.
    ------------------------------
    Done.
    Loading new ndiswrapper-1.60 DKMS files...
    It is likely that 4.9.140-tegra belongs to a chroot's host
    Building for 4.15.0-122-generic and 4.9.140-tegra
    Building initial module for 4.15.0-122-generic
    ERROR: Cannot create report: [Errno 17] File exists: '/var/crash/ndiswrapper-dkms.0.crash'
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.15.0-122-generic (aarch64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/ndiswrapper/1.60/build/make.log for more information.
    dpkg: error processing package ndiswrapper-dkms (--configure):
    installed ndiswrapper-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    ndiswrapper-dkms
    user@user:~$ ndiswrapper -l
    bash: ndiswrapper: command not found

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: error processing package ndiswrapper-dkms

I've moved your thread from the Installation & Upgrades sub-forum, whose strapline reads, "For questions about upgrading and installation of your new Ubuntu OS," (operating system, not packages) to the Networking & Wireless sub-forum since you seemingly have a wireless problem that you are trying to fix by installing ndiswrapper.

Ndiswrapper is obsolete and almost certainly a lost cause. One of our members, chili55, who is very knowledgeable about wireless problems, said this in a recent thread:

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I have not seen a single case of ndiswrapper working correctly either here or at askubuntu in many years.
    I suggest you take a step back from ndiswrapper, describe whatever wireless problem it is that you are experiencing, and post the output from the wireless info script that is described in the sticky here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108 . Hopefully someone will be able to come up with a better solution for you.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It also looks like you are on an ARM device. It would be helpful if you would tell us what it is.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Subscribed and watching.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.