Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitors do not power down when screen blanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Monitors do not power down when screen blanks

GUI stuff isn't the OS on any Linux system. Any GUI is tacked on after. That means, trying different GUIs until you find one that behaves in the way expected isn't a big deal. The GUI is just another program to be installed, tested, and removed. Most definitely NOT the OS.

Gnome3 has lots of issues. If this is a show stopper, perhaps trying KDE would make sense? Or Mate or XFCE or LXQt or Cinnamon or ... dropping a DE completely and going with a Window Manager-only setup? Lots of options.

I'm actually a little confused that CentOS has a GUI. Servers shouldn't have any GUI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It has been a month an a half and maybe your found your answer. If so what was the ultimate solution? I'm not sure why the other posters went off the rails about differences between OS' and didn't address you issue, but maybe this will help as I have the same issue:

Monitors go blank, but do not power down

Background: I received a donation of a small stack of identical Dell 5040's. I decided to replace three PC of various makes, all running dual monitors, all working before the swap. Each got a fresh install of the latest build of Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 Two of the builds work exactly as expected, but one exhibits the problem you are reporting.

Since I have a small stack of identical units, I swaped out the box but kep the already build HD. The problem was still there. Next, I booted to the USB installation media and selected "Try Ubuntu" and let it sit for 10-15 mintues. It work liked you would expect it to. So I figured something must have gone wrong in the original installation. Give it a fresh installation and ... I still have the problem.

So it's not that hardware, the monitors turn off properly if Ubuntu is ran from the installation USB, but will not turn off properly after a full installation. I also reran all updates. Later today I will receive new HDMI to Displayport cables and swap those out (for an unrelated reason) so maybe that will change something. But again, because the monitors turn off normally when booted from the installation media, this is not likely the cause. And of course it's not the PC because I changed it, and the other two are behaving normally. The only thing left is the monitors themselves. They are a pair of InnoView 24".

Years ago I had a thread going about an odd problem with my Toshiba laptop. Similar to this issue, when the laptop was booted to the installation media, the keyboard and touchpad worked fine, but once the OS was installed, they would stop working until I entered some 'no splash' and mux=1 strings in my grub config file. I have no idea why that worked, but I have always had to do that when installing Ubuntu to that laptop. Perhaps there is some weird combination going on with the InnoView monitors and the Dell 5040. I will try the 'no splash' trick later today and let you know if it changed anything.
    A goat leads the lambs to slaughter......

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do newer Ubuntu Desktop installs switch to a proprietary driver in the "Try Ubuntu" environment or are they using the F/LOSS GPU driver? That could be the difference for why some commands work and others do not.

Proprietary GPU drivers have always caused more problems then they should for Linux. The best capability and stable GPUs are from Intel. Then AMD, and lastly nvidia. The first two provide driver code to Linux. nVidia provides objects which aren't always so good. I have systems with all three types of GPUs. By far, I have the least issues with Intel iGPUs and the most issues with nvidia. nvidia (430 GT and a 1030 GT) is just a pain, honestly. Really wish I would have gotten an AMD rather than the 1030.

Beans
    Distro

So I did some more testing:

Got new cables. Made no difference, but I didn't expect them to.

Looked up my old post on the laptop. Entered this:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    changed this line to look like this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i8042.nomux i8042.reset"
    sudo update-grub
    Reboot

This had no effect, but I knew it was just a shot in the dark. I reversed my changes

I tried booting to the installation USB agan and verified the screens turn off as expected.

Pulled an identical unit from another station that has been working normally and connected it to these two InnoView monitors. This unit exhibits the same off behavior: Screens go blank except the cursor remains inexplicitly on the screen anf the monitors never power down.

I could think of only one other thing to try. Many of these came with an add on video card: AMD RADEON R5 340X 2GB DDR3 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS VIDEO CARD KG8WY 7122107700G. I pulled the card from the unit I have been working with and tried that. It made no difference.

The bottom line: When I hook up a Dell 5040 to these two InnoView monitors and boot from the installation USB into "Try Ubuntu" mode, the monitors go blank and power off per normal operation, but for some inexplicable reason when the OS is loaded from the internal HD, the monitors go blank except for the pointer which is left on the screen, and they never power off

I sure hope someone out there has a clue on this weird behavior.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Das Goat, if you would like help, please open your own thread. This thread is for robkampen.

Beans
    Distro

One final note:

I though maybe the BIOS might be causing this behavior, so I did an upgrade to the current version 1.17.1 Now, when the screen goes blank the monitors DO turn off ... but just for a second and come on again. I set the time to 1 minute so I could observe and the system just kept doing that.

Finally, I have a model 7020 that I was going to decommission. I hooked it up to these monitors and gave it a try. This one does this second behavior, turning things off then immediately back on. So this whole issue seems to be this particular monitor model paired with a Dell Optiplex computer.

I put the original HP computer back that I was going to decommission after giving it a good cleaning and the problem went away. So ... HP+InnoView=GOOD Dell+Innoview=BAD

I hope this helps someone.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Das Goat, if you would like help, please open your own thread. This thread is for robkampen.
    I for one am grateful that this information is consolidated in 1 thread. What's the point of spreading this around - They all seem connected.

@DasGoat
    I have been on a merry go around to find a distro that actually WORKS with screen blanking and standby. NONE work.
    Those I tried: Debian, Ubuntu (LTS and not), LinuxMint (cinnamon/mate), PopOS, Fedora and more. No luck at all.
    The closest I got is that this is somehow dpms related.

Meanwhile exact same setup works perfect under... windows. Come on Linux help me get off MS.
    Having my monitors not standby is a huge waste of electricity, especially when wfh.

I also can't find anything at all in the logs showing something failed.

Baffling this has not happened to more users. This is clearly dual monitor related (perhaps tri+) and potentially when you are using both dP and hdmi simultaneously

Specs:
    5600x, 6700XT, 32GB RAM, installed on fresh nvme drive
    Monitor1: HDMI - Generic Acer 1080p @ 60Hz
    Monitor2: dP - LG 34GK950-F @ 144Hz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi airbag888
    What's the point of spreading this around - They all seem connected.
    The keyword is seems, although the symptoms are the same there is usually a different underlying cause plus it gets confusing for everyone when more then one person is being helped in a thread I know this from personal experience and the OP of this thread deserves individual help just like you do so if you want help with your issue please start your own thread also this thread is like 9 months old and has not had a post all this time and we close old threads, so I am closing this one for house keeping sake.

Old thread back to sleep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12