Thread: I can't run my Ubuntu

Beans

I can't run my Ubuntu

Hi, I'm new using Ubuntu. And normally I can solve most issues but this Last one is getting me crazy.

After installed something, i turned off my laptop, in the night, I wanted to use it. Everything was running normally, but on the Ubuntu loading screen there is a message
    "An error has occurred mounting /home

Press S for don't mount or M for manual reparation"

It's not exactly, because i translated to English

If I press S my laptop just show me the cursor

And if I press M it takes to a command line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I can't run my Ubuntu

There might be a problem with the storage device - HHD, SSD or whatever you have. Boot from an Ubuntu Live USB, and theck the S.M.A.R.T. atributes.

Beans

Fsck from live CD / USB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by akstide2000 View Post
    After installed something, i turned off my laptop
    What did you install?
    How did you install it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's a problem.

It has something to do with the file system where your HOME directory is located. Chances are that the automatic running of fsck on that file system failed - or there are errors that must be agreed to accept. We are assuming that / and /home are different partitions.

At boot, in the grub menu, there's an "advanced" choice. Choose that. When the TUI comes up, there should be a "Check all file systems" choice. Try that.

If it doesn't work, try the manual way. Boot like you've been doing, but choose M for the manual repair option. You'll need to know the device name where the file system is and manually run it. The fsck command looks like:
    Code:
    sudo fsck /dev/sdZ3
    You'll need to figure out the correct device. Also, if you use LVM, you'll need to figure out the device mapper name, not the partition device. Same for ZFS OR BTRFS, but for the common EXT4 file systems, fsck is the command. If NVMe storage is involved, the device name will be very different. Same for soldered on storage or a microSD card (usually seen on r-pi devices).

If everything works, run sudo mount -a to mount all the storage from the /etc/fstab. If your HOME mounts clean, you are done. Reboot and a GUI login should be displayed.

If something is still wrong, I'd make a backup of any files you can't lose ASAP to other storage. Then boot from a Try Ubuntu flash drive and use whatever tools you prefer to check on the health of the drive and file system for the storage device. I'd use smartctl, but do it however you like.