Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual boot ubuntu crashes

Beans

Exclamation Dual boot ubuntu crashes

Hello, I want to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu 21.04 but I can't. The installer always crashes. I have 2 disks, a SSD 480 gb with windows in it and a HDD 1 tb for storage unit. I did partitions in the two disks and at the time I was installing ubuntu I set the partition in the SSD as root and the partition in the HDD as /home. Sometimes the installer crashes there or in the last step. It keeps loading and then a message pops up and says that the installer has crashed:"We're sorry; the installer crashed. After you close this window, we'll allow you to file a bug report using the integrated bug reporting tool. This will gather information about your system and your installation process. The details will be sent to our bug tracker and a developer will attend to the problem as soon as possible."

I already have my bios running as UEFI, I disabled CSM. My 2 disks are configured as GPT. The USB entry is running in UEFI mode also (I disabled the legacy mode in the usb ports). My bootable usb was created with Rufus, I configured it as GPT partition in UEFI mode (no CSM), and as FAT32. I don't know why the installation crashes. I will be grateful with your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dual boot ubuntu crashes

What brand/model system? What video card/chip?
    Have you updated UEFI to latest firmware version.
    And updated SSD's firmware, also?

What version/flavor of Ubuntu?

Post this:
    sudo parted -l
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I have a built pc with a motherboard gigabyte h310m-h, my graphic card is a 1050 ti from Nvidia, intel i5 8th gen, 16 gb ram. I think I have neither updated UEFI to the latest version nor my SSD firmware. But I will look it up on yt and do it.
    sudo parted -l

Beans

Ok, i checked. My bios and my ssd firmware are updated. What should I do?

Beans

Hello raxhacks. I have a lenovo laptop and installer always hung on installing grub package. after many attempts, I found a work around. I have to install any linux system WITHOUT a bootloader. After the install, but before rebooting, I have to run boot-repair to install bootloader, after which I have the standard grub menu at boot. In my case, I also, from the booted system, have to purge and reinstall grub. After the first linux system is in, I can install other linux systems without bootloader and boot normally into an already installed os and do a grub update to find the new install. After that everything runs fine. If your installer is hanging on the grub install, this may be an option. Good luck.
    I'm a firm believer that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Lenovo ideapad320-15iap, 1.1G Intel processor with onboard graphics, x64, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram
    lubuntu 20.04.2

Beans

Thanks for sharing but in my case is a little bit weird. My installer crashes in random steps, sometimes in the last part, mainly when it is installing firefox. Sometimes it crashes when I assign the partitions or when I am typing my new user. I already changed my usb to a newer of 16 gb, and also inserted it in different ports but that doesn't seem to work either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Welcome to the adventure and journey. All my respect to oldfred, always. He doesn't get enough credit. My first "Dual Boot" with Ubuntu, Windows and "other" was 11 years ago. I think oldfred was one of the people who helped me through that then. He is an amazing wealth of knowledge and skills!!! You are in very good hands! This post is not to encroach on him, but to try to help him, help you. And to provide you some tips to think about.

Even more basic, and additional to oldfred's requests for info... If you boot on the image you are installing, before trying to install, if you select "Try" instead of install. does it run successfully and is the system stable? From there, that will tell him a lot. Besides that the hardware might be compatible, but that might also tell him that you have a good image to install from. From there you can supply him a lot of information that Windows 10 is shielded from and cannot provide.* From there, you can open a terminal to give him the later info he requested with fdisk.

What you also might want to tell him... (Because he might need to know eventually):
    • What product version and build of Windows 10.
    • What system architecture? (Processor, 32bit or 64bit)
    • Do you know if your partition scheme is MBR or GPT? (You added disks to this system, so I assume you already might know)
    • What your long range plans are... (Do you have a plan? On dual boots, you may want to have "information" that both can share and live together with.)
    • What boot manager do you want to end up with? (Grub or BCD Boot Menu)
    • When you "were' installing, did you select "With Updates" and what medium were you connected to the internet with (if at all)? (Hardwired or Wifi?)

Even if you have a newer system, your BIOS may still have been set to either boot legacy or UEFI in your BIOS. And if it is capable and set to UEFI, do you have "Secure Boot" set to "OFF" in your BIOS for Linux to boot.

Important note is that, before you start, you are going to want to configure the power settings in Windows 10 to completely shutdown it's filesystem on power down, instead of hibernating. (<- From experience) Another is that even if you do not image/backup your Win 10 system before you start (recommended)... If you decide to go with a Windows BCD Menu for your Boot Menu, then you are going to least want to get an exported backup file of your partition table of the SSD, before you try to setup that menu. The Windows tools for that can be unintelligent, unaware, cruel and unforgiving. They will do exactly as you ask, even if that is not what you mean. just saying. It's easy if "you have a plan", and somewhere to fall back to.

Notes: * - When working, I keep two current Ubuntu LiveCD USB's (32bit and 64bit) with me to rescue/recover Windows Systems.

EDIT:: Fails in Random phases of the install? SO did you verify that the sha of the image is good? (That you have a good install image?)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 10th, 2021 at 08:48 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Hello, thanks for the answer. The first thing, I don't know why it doesn't show the Try option in the usb menu. It just shows Ubuntu, Ubuntu OEM Install, Ubuntu safe graphics, boot from next volume and UEFI firmware settings.
    Extra:
    -I have Windows 10 Pro, Build 19043 and the latest version update.
    -My architecture is 64 bit
    -The partition scheme is GPT
    -My plan with dual boot is to use my main PC to develop and learn to code, I already use windows to code using specialized IDEs, but I got into machine learning and a lot of the libraries aren't available for windows. I don't want a VM because I want to really grasp the "powerness" of my pc, and I tried WSL but it didn't work when I tried to install a special library for linux only.
    -The boot manager... I think I will like the Grub from ubuntu, the one of linux.
    -All the times I tried installing Ubuntu I always unselected "With Updates" and the other one of Third party software. about my internet connection I am always connected via ethernet. (note: i tried once selecting the option of with updates and third party software but it crashed assigning the partitions)

My BIOS is running in UEFI mode:

I also have Secure Boot disabled and, just to be sure, I also disabled CSM. Extra: I disabled legacy mode in the usb ports just in case
    Beforehand, thanks for your help!

EDIT: It crashes in random phases of the install, and I think that I have a good install image.
    Last edited by raxhacks; June 10th, 2021 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes. Lots of free Dev resources in Linux. (As well as other things)

Yes. WSL is "Console Only." So that has been a big disappointment in Windows to many people.

Yes, there is quite a difference in real-time performance running on metal, rather than Hyper-V as a VM. You can always change your mind later if you decide you want to be able to cut and paste between Windows and Linux in an enhanced VM session.

First, from what you just said... I have two ideas. One is that you verify your ISO image that you downloaded. I've done over 2000 Linux installs in the past 15 years. If it does random errors in the install, that's the first thing I suspect.

Second is how and what did you use to you create your USB install image? Because the start menu you described brings some things to mind. Depending on how you created your USB Media, it may have installed it as a LiveCD (somewhat like Windows PE) type image, which installed SELinux and Grub2 for the initial boot. When you select Ubuntu, in what may look like a Grub2 type menu, if you select Ubuntu, does it (then) boot to the Graphical installer, where it gets to "Try" or "Install" page?

I think you need to answer those two things before you do anything else.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 10th, 2021 at 11:18 PM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since you have nVidia, you need to use Safe Graphics.

It think that just adds nomodeset like we used to have to recommend manually adding.
    And you want proprietary drivers so when you boot install, you already have then nVidia driver. Or else you then need nomodeset until you do add nVidia from Ubuntu repository.
    You can just do the update after install & that should be essentially the same as update during install, but will not interfere with install.

I prefer to partition in advance.
    You still have to use Something else to tell installer which partition is which. I use ESP (if Windows you already have that, do not create another), / (root) as ext4. If newer user, I suggest /home as separate partition. If just testing you do not even need that. Some still like swap partition of 4.1 GB, others like installer create swap file which defaults to 2GB. If lots of RAM, a few users do not even add swap, but that is not recommended as a run away process can then crash system.

I also like data partition(s), but that is more advanced.
    I do not typically allocate entire drive as I do not know if adding 25 or 30GB for a test install, so I do not corrupt main working install or want more space for data.

Did you post your current partitions. Sometimes Windows does strange things like convert basic to dynamic which then causes major partitioning issues. Only use Windows to shrink your largest NTFS partition & immediately reboot into Windows & run chkdsk. Make sure Windows fast start up is off, or else installer may crash as it cannot correctly see the hibernated NTFS partitions. Windows likes to turn fast start up back on with updates, so even if you turned it off, check again.
    Leave unallocated & then use gparted to create partitions.

Show partitions with this:
    sudo parted -l

See also link below in my signature. Much is special cases or specific repairs which you can skim thru if desired. But install steps & links to more info with those are important.
    Last edited by oldfred; June 10th, 2021 at 11:30 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast