Thread: Dual boot ubuntu crashes

Beans

Re: Dual boot ubuntu crashes

I don't know if it's my usb or my pc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Unplug your USB device and remove any other extraneous devices (e.g. headphones etc.)

Double check that you can still access your Windows 10 OS?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are you using Safe Boot or nomodeset boot parameter.

This also says you may also need this boot parameter.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1153...ering-password
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/8631...er-idpci=noaer

pci=nomsi
    or
    pci=noaer

Safe Graphics Boot option on installer adds nomodeset.
    At grub menu you can use e for edit, scroll to linux line and replace quiet splash with nomodeset.
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 - both BIOS liveCD & grub first boot ( also UEFI with grub)
    How to add boot parameters, grub menu after install (also grub when UEFI)
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters &
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
    Last edited by oldfred; June 11th, 2021 at 05:36 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi, thanks I finally ran it. I needed to replace de quiet splash as you said. I entered the code sudo parted -l in the terminal as you said, here is the exit:

Model: ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 480GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 1049kB 2456MB 2455MB ntfs msftdata
    2 2456MB 454GB 451GB ntfs msftdata
    3 480GB 480GB 105MB fat32 boot, esp

Model: ATA WDC WD10EZEX-08W (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Disk Flags:

1 1049kB 2456MB 2455MB ntfs Te msftdata
    2 9212MB 790GB 781GB ntfs msftdata

Model: ADATA USB Flash Drive (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdc: 15.5GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Disk Flags:

1 1049kB 15.5GB 15.5GB fat32 Main Data Partition msftdata

Beans

Yes I can still run windows 10.
    I have nothing connected but my mouse and keyboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Some progress now - splendid.

Now, is it still your intention to install Ubuntu OS (i.e. root /) on your 480GB Kingston drive but install the /home on the 1000GB drive?

You have to make free space on each drive (using Windows tools to shrink Windows partitions).

Do you know how to do this?

Edit

To be honest, my personal preference would be to have each OS including users on separate drives.
    Last edited by tea for one; June 11th, 2021 at 06:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So at this point... What kernel boot options let you boot up the the LiveCD Image where it is stable?

On what "Tea For One" said... I second it, on using Windows tools if you are going to shrink a "Windows" drive... The reason for that is if you use Linux tools to do that, it will do it fine, but... It will do nothing to the Windows NTFS indexs. So when you resteart Windows later, then if the filesystem was indexed, those indexes will be broken (and need to be rebuilt. If you use the Win Disk Manager to do it, It will take care of those on it's own. (just a learning moment.)

*** And both oldfred and I have told you that you should turn off fastboot, so that it shutdowns the NTFS File system completely on shutdown, instead of hibernation. This is "very" important!.

Like oldfred and I mentioned. Once you can run the LiveCD and have confidence that you can run it and know which boot options you need to do that... Did you come up with your plan yet? For example...

I usually, on any install, lay out my partition myself... (custom). I decide which file systems I want and where they will be. I usually like to have a root, boot, swap and home partitions. I would suggest your root, boot and swap on the ssd, and the home on 1TB Sata. On the home, you may decide to make that as NTFS. If not, at least add another partition as NTFS so you can esily have somewhere where you can move share between the systems. I

I prefer using the Grub2 Boot Menu, and Grab2 as a bootloader. (instead of the Windows BCD Boot menu. It is more durable, and easy to customize. On dual boots, I add a partition just large enough for one or two ISO's, so that I add a custom Grub entry to boot it if I need recovery services. Why? Because things happen, when you customize, tweak and explore the limits of things. LOL
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; June 11th, 2021 at 07:40 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Yeah i already did some partitions, on the ssd I did a 30 gb partition and on the HDD a 200 gb partition. Let's see if it works.

Beans

MMM. I tried installing it again but now it crashed when I was assigning partitions. It was running in nomodeset and I connected it to another USB port. I think that I will just install it in a partition of my HDD, my question here is where should I install the grub. In my case, will it show the option to boot windows even though is not in the HDD?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You said you wanted to learn to code... So what languages do you think you want to learn?

I'm asking this to get an idea of what you are going to need in resources and layout... And the things you may want to test with...

And oldfred mentioned you had NVidia(?) AS you said your goal is to learn Linux and play, somewhere where you can customize and tweak, and see the results of your work... A poweruser. Right? Get familiar with the gnome terminal. It is an emulated terminal session. As Tea For One mentioned, the hot keys to toggle open a Gnome Terminal (graphical) session is <CTRL>+<ALT>+<T>.

Since you have been having troubles, here's a crash course.

Under the Graphics Layer are 7 TTY Terminal sessions... Even when you are installing with the LiveCD in Ubiquity... So if there is an error, you can toggle between TTY sessions to see what is going on... You can toggle with the hotkeys <CNTRL>+<ALT>+<Session#> where The third key is the TTY Session number of 1 through 7. This is for after 18.04 1 is usually System Messages during boot, until it gets to the Graphical Login, which displays in TTY1. After login, The Grapihics display in TTY2 for the first logged in user. 3-7 are TTY Terminal sessions for use as terminal sessions.

In Ubiquity, the LiveCD installer, the system messages show on TTY1. 2 is usually where Ubicuity uses to install and such, where the scripts are executing, and you see the progress and such. The errors will show there or TTY1. Any other you can use as a terminal session. Before 18.04, the Graphics was on TTY 7.

I tell you this, because if X is scrambled for some reason, you can still get to a TTY session using those hotkeys...

So, at any Terminal Session, please do
    Code:
    sudo lshw -c video
    Becuase oldfred mentioned you had NVidiia, and I didn't hear you mention that or what type...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast