Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: after using Live USB , i have grub rescue error

Beans

Post Re: after using Live USB , i have grub rescue error

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    As pointed out above, modifying a 'personal' file which you created in your /home/user/Desktop directory should have no effect on Grub.

Boot the live usb you have and when you are at the grub rescur, run the following command for each Linux filesystem partition you have to see if you can find the normal.mod file:

grub rescue> ls (hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub/i386-pc/

If you can't find it, you need to determine which is your root filesysem partition and navigate to /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc and find the normal.mod file and copy it to the directory in /boot/grub/i386-pc This is only on the computer which is not EFI

If you are now getting a different error (unknown filesystem) run the following command from the live usb you are using and post the output here indicating which drive and partition is the root filesystem partition.

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    first i will say thinks for helping me
    when i tape ls (hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub/i386-pc/
    error file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/' not found

for fdisk -l i get
    disklabel type: dos

device Boot start size type
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 240.08 G linux

Beans

Re: after using Live USB , i have grub rescue error

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    The command

Code:
    insmod normal
    is supposed to take grub out of rescue mode and into normal mode.

https://www.linux.org/threads/unders...modules.11142/

If the file is not found it is because the path is incorrect. There are 285 modules in the /boot/grub/i386-pc directory. For some reason that I cannot understand they are all in the Amiga SoundTracker audio format.

An irrelevant piece of information, I admit. But apparently to get Grub out of rescue mode we need that normal.mod file to load and for that to happen the path to the Grub folder needs to be correct. If we haven't corrected the problem that put Grub into rescue mode in the first place we still may not get to a desktop.

I have more than one install of Ubuntu on my machine and I find it more convenient when I mess up to the point that Grub loads into rescue mode to use one of the other installs of Ubuntu while I plan a re-install of the broken OS. Which is what I had to do a week ago when the desktop blinked out of existence while the browser was loading a newspaper page and I was left with a black screen with error messages repeated line after line.

Regards

thanks for your help the link is very good i'm looking also for some learning about grub it's a good help , i'd like to understand more about grub that why i will re-install broken OS at last option

Beans

Re: after using Live USB , i have grub rescue error

Did you get the output you posted in post 11 from your live usb? If so, it should show at least 2 drives, the usb you are using and the internal hard drive on which you have Ubuntu. Post the entire output of fdisk command.

Do you have only one partition on the drive on which you installed Ubuntu? If you run ls from the grub rescue do you see only one drive/partition? Is this computer older and using Legacy BIOS rather than EFI? If the error still is normal.mod not found, have you tried to copy it from the /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc directory?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12