Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to download Lubuntu 20.4.1 ISO

Beans

Re: Need to download Lubuntu 20.4.1 ISO

Thanks Impavidus, I have been struggling to understand how LTS worked, and why Lubuntu would offer kernel 5.8 with 20.04.2, which is only supported for 9 months. Now it makes sense.

Beans

Hi Sudodus. Yes, it does worry me a bit that the Lubuntu team seems to have been split in two. But Ubuntu seems to be supporting lubuntu.me, and LXQt, so that is what I am working with. But I will presume that an upgrade is required by 2023, rather than 2025.

Beans

Thanks very much ajgreeny. I have also tested this on a VM, and it worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kjgrimm View Post
    Thanks Impavidus, I have been struggling to understand how LTS worked, and why Lubuntu would offer kernel 5.8 with 20.04.2, which is only supported for 9 months. Now it makes sense.
    20.04 is available with two kernel choices..

The GA kernel is 5.4 and is supported for the full five years of it's life (even if flavors only offer 3 years of support; ie. Lubuntu; 5 years applies to packages from the 'main' repository, ie. those in common with Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server etc).

The HWE kernel stack choice allows you to use later stacks from non-LTS releases.

- For 20.04.2 that means the stack from 20.10 (5.8)
    - For 20.04.3 that means the stack from 21.04 (5.11)

etc. until the final stack is used at 20.04.5 being the GA stack from Ubuntu 22.04 (whatever kernel that is). If you look at the focal schedule (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule) you'll see the ISO is scheduled for release on 19 August 2021, however installed systems will upgrade before that date (ie. installed systems will auto-shift to using the 5.11 kernel currently used by hirsute or 21.04 users).

For details on HWE please refer

- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
    - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Rolli...nablementStack

Quote Originally Posted by kjgrimm View Post
    Yes, it does worry me a bit that the Lubuntu team seems to have been split in two.
    Projects always have people leaving (busy with other parts of their lives), and new people joining on.

LXDE used GTK2 libraries which are EOL (GNOME 3 & GTK3 came out years ago, GTK4 is the new one now). PCMan (mentioned by @Sudodus) ported `pcmanfm` (file manager & handles the desktop of LXDE) to GTK3 but blogged how much heaver GTK3 was. Given the L in LXDE is light, a port to Qt5 was done for comparison and it was much lighter. Thus a majority of LXDE devs joined with Razor-Qt team members creating a new LXQt project; the successor of LXDE. This however is all upstream of Lubuntu.

I'm not sure what you mean by split in two though.

If it's about lubuntu[.net] ; that was never a Ubuntu/Canonical/Lubuntu web site; was privately owned and whilst yes, it was used by Lubuntu for awhile, when the owner of the site left the project it was beyond the reach of Ubuntu & Lubuntu so was replaced. This may not be what you mean (all Ubuntu & official links always point to the correct site, even if search engines like google offer many choices, legit, fan & fake).

FYI: If you check ownership of lubuntu.me, you'll note it's owned by Canonical; the company behind Ubuntu, to ensure ownership of a site isn't lost again.

You'll be able to release-upgrade to the next LTS soon after 22.04.1 has been released, but will have ~6 months after that before the 3 years of supported-life of Lubuntu 20.04 LTS reaches EOL for the Lubuntu team. (technically you'll still have two years after that before all of 20.04 reaches the end of it's standard support life, so upgrades will be still be possible during this period as well; it's primarily that Lubuntu won't support you).

If you have questions about Lubuntu, ask them. Many of the people here are Lubuntu members (my chosen beans-graphic is Ubuntu member as I achieved that first, but I'm Lubuntu member too), and even if some folks aren't associated with the project, they likely still contain useful opinions.
    Last edited by guiverc; June 12th, 2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: s/release/release-upgrade (clarification I hope)

Beans
    Hidden!

+1; I agree about the details explained by @guiverc. (My post was brief and could be misunderstood.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

There is a bittorrent archive of ISOs at https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=bittorrent.
    Lubuntu 20.04.1 is available at https://distrowatch.com/dwres/torren...64.iso.torrent.
    There are lots of peers, works well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If we are wondering why an ISO image of Ubuntu/Lubuntu/other flavours is no longer available then the answer is the BootHole vulnerability in the Grub boot loader.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/mitigating-b...ulnerabilities

The fix to Grub could not be backported to ISO images that had already be built and put out for download. So those earlier releases of the ISO image with Grub still having the BootHole vulnerability were backlisted in the UEFI secure boot database and I also guess where removed from Canonical ISO image download repositories.

In the above linked to document continue reading until you get to the paragraph that reads

Unlike other security vulnerabilities, where the software update can be released and installed to remediate the vulnerability , the nature of UEFI Secure Boot created significant complications.
    It also says

These old install media would then always be trusted, even though they contain this vulnerable version of GRUB2 and hence could be used to bypass UEFI Secure Boot on any system.
    Use one of these old install media and we install a version of Grub with some very serious security flaws that are not present in newer install media.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12