Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to download Lubuntu 20.4.1 ISO

Beans

Need to download Lubuntu 20.4.1 ISO

Hello, I am new to this forum, so hopefully following the rules correctly.

I am seeking an LTS version of Lubuntu, with kernel 5.4, which is supported for 5 years. I recently downloaded the latest Lubuntu Desktop from here: https://lubuntu.me/downloads/
    which provides the latest Point Release, which is Lubuntu 20.4.2. But it does also offer a link to download previous versions: https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/

Unfortunately, that second link only serves up Lubuntu 20.4.2, no matter what directory you choose. I went to here for example: https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/r....04.1/release/
    but it too only offers 20.4.2.

I am wondering if anyone can assist. Is it still possible to obtain an ISO for Lubuntu Desktop 20.4.1? Or should I just install 20.4.2 and manually downgrade the kernel (I suspect that might not be safe).
    Appreciate assistance if anyone knows.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Need to download Lubuntu 20.4.1 ISO

You can downgrade the kernel without issue, you'll just the older kernel alongside the newer ones that come down with updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Lubuntu LTS releases only get 3 years of support. The parts they have in common with Ubuntu (like the kernel) get 5 years.

If you install from the 20.04.2 iso, you'll get kernel 5.8. This will be automatically upgraded every 6 months until you get the same kernel as will be used in Ubuntu 22.04 (whatever that will be), which will be supported for the remainder of the support period of 20.04. With more major kernel upgrades, there's more risk one of them fails. If your hardware is old enough that the 5.4 kernel works, that may be a reason to stay with 5.4

If you install from the 20.04.1 iso, some flavours give you the 5.4 kernel, others the 5.8 kernel. I don't know what Lubuntu does. But you can easily downgrade. Just use the package manager to remove the hwe kernel metapackage and install the standard kernel metapackage. After rebooting on the 5.4 kernel, you can autoremove the 5.8 packages.

The 20.04.1 isos must be archived somewhere with the old releases.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Lubuntu LTS releases only get 3 years of support. The parts they have in common with Ubuntu (like the kernel) get 5 years.

If you install from the 20.04.2 iso, you'll get kernel 5.8. This will be automatically upgraded every 6 months until you get the same kernel as will be used in Ubuntu 22.04 (whatever that will be), which will be supported for the remainder of the support period of 20.04. With more major kernel upgrades, there's more risk one of them fails. If your hardware is old enough that the 5.4 kernel works, that may be a reason to stay with 5.4

If you install from the 20.04.1 iso, some flavours give you the 5.4 kernel, others the 5.8 kernel. I don't know what Lubuntu does. But you can easily downgrade. Just use the package manager to remove the hwe kernel metapackage and install the standard kernel metapackage. After rebooting on the 5.4 kernel, you can autoremove the 5.8 packages.
    Please describe with command lines how to remove the hwe kernel metapackage and install the standard kernel metapackage
    The 20.04.1 isos must be archived somewhere with the old releases.
    I show 4 work-arounds to get Lubuntu 20.04 with the original kernel series at this link to the same question at AskUbuntu.
    Last edited by sudodus; June 8th, 2021 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added ajgreeny's method to downgrade from 20.04.2 LTS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can install the 20.04.2 version and then simply remove all the packages with -hwe in their names.

Start by removing linux-generic-hwe-20.04 and install the plain linux-generic which will immediately pull in the most recent 5.4.0-74 kernel plus dependencies, eg the header packages.

You can then reboot to the 5.4 series from grub and remove linux-image-5.8.0-55-generic along with any other versions of the 5.8 series.
    Finally run sudo apt autoremove --purge and you should end up with the same as you would have had with the starting point of Lubuntu-20.04.1, which incidentally, I can not find either, all links that suggest they are for the 20.04.1 version end up at the same point with the 20.04.2 version.

I have done this simply as a test using a virtual install to make sure it is possible.
    In my case I did not even reboot after removing the running kernel but simply installed the 5.4 series in the same operation using synaptic in my case, which would be muon I believe in Lubuntu.
    Doing it in one go will give you warnings about removing the current running kernel, but it's OK as long as you do not reboot before installing the earlier version of kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Beans

Could always install Ubuntu server then install LXDE. This will give you 5 years of support rather than the 3 with Lubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Could always install Ubuntu server then install LXDE. This will give you 5 years of support rather than the 3 with Lubuntu
    Yes , it is possible to use LXDE

But

- Lubuntu left LXDE and started using LXQt because LXDE was not very actively developed, so there may be problems with new features and who knows about security updates.

- If I remember correctly, some important developers of LXDE and associated tools moved to LXQt, for example pcman (developer of pcmanfm).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Please describe with command lines how to remove the hwe kernel metapackage and install the standard kernel metapackage
    Sensible request.

Install the package linux-generic and remove linux-generic-hwe-20.04, using apt, apt-get or one of the GUI package managers. When running the 5.4 kernel, the 5.8 packages (5 per kernel version and a few metapackages) should be autoremovable. Exact command lines are left as an exercise to the reader.

It could be slightly different if you use the unsigned or lowlatency kernels or something like that, but those are not automatically installed on Lubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks ajgreeny and Impavidus for the details about downgrading the kernel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast