Thread: How to make the wordpress site as private

Beans

How to make the wordpress site as private

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to make WordPress site a private site without plugin?

My requirement is simple;
    Only registered users can login with password to browse the site, all pages.
    New user can make a request on email and if approved, I'll email the password to him/her

If a plugin is required please recommend an appropriate one. There are many plugins on Internet for this function.

Thanks

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; June 7th, 2021 at 01:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to make the wordpress site as private

Just make a login portal page as your front-page or landing page going to the system website when successfully login in.
    A portal page that say's this is your website plan. Please login.
    This front-page must be securely protected. there are a lot of web security software that can help protect your website.
    security is very important to your plan so that no leakage link to the web system you are planning.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    Just make a login portal page as your front-page or landing page going to the system website when successfully login in.
    A portal page that say's this is your website plan. Please login.
    This front-page must be securely protected. there are a lot of web security software that can help protect your website.
    security is very important to your plan so that no leakage link to the web system you are planning.
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

On Google search I found following document;
    How to Create a Client Portal in WordPress
    https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutori...-in-wordpress/

Would it be relevant for me to follow its steps?

Besides it still needs following plugin;
    The “All-In-One” Membership Plugin for WordPress
    https://memberpress.com/

It is available in WP "Add" plugin
    "All in One SEO – Best WordPress SEO Plugin – Easily Improve Your SEO Rankings"

Please advise. Thanks

Edit:
    The running security plugin - wordfence

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; June 7th, 2021 at 03:41 PM.

Beans

Any reason why this has to happen in software and not through the basic authentication mechanism built into Apache?

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/auth.html
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Any reason why this has to happen in software and not through the basic authentication mechanism built into Apache?

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/auth.html
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

What I expect to achieve are as follows:
    1. Only authorized users can login the site with user ID and password to visit the site, all pages. This notice is displayed on the HOME page.
    2. New users can make request with the expected user ID and I'll email them the password if approved. This notice is also displayed on the HOME page with a click for making request.

Please advise how to make it on Apache? Thanks

Edit
    ===
    It is a WordPress site hosted on HostGator

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; June 7th, 2021 at 10:45 PM.

Beans

You could have a landing page separate from the WP installation that explains how to obtain a password. Probably should have a mailto: URL that people can use to request the password.

Then on the same page have a link to the WP site using basic authentication as shown in the document I linked to.

If you expect to have a lot of validated users, then using .htpasswd files might require too much work. Basic auth can use other authentication mechanisms like SQL queries.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 8th, 2021 at 02:16 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

You could have a landing page separate from the WP installation that explains how to obtain a password. Probably should have a mailto: URL that people can use to request the password.

Then on the same page have a link to the WP site using basic authentication as shown in the document I linked to.

If you expect to have a lot of validated users, then using .htpasswd files might require too much work. Basic auth can use other authentication mechanisms like SQL queries.
    I'm very surprised that your advice just arrived to me.

What I expect to achieve is;
    1. Only the visitors can browse my websites with password sent to them by me.
    2. Other visitors without password only browse a blank website with notice saying "This is a private website ......."

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

So not to complicate your demands, but stick a reverse proxy in front of your wordpress site and then add something like authelia which does the authentication https://github.com/authelia/authelia. There are other similar projects -- is this going to increase the complexity of your authentication as compared to .htaccess files -- yep! -- just depends how you want to spin it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

+1 I like it. a little more complex but worth the effort.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD