Thread: Ubuntu Live Media

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Live Media

Quote Originally Posted by nezcrocman View Post
    Thanks All ! I'll try that !
    So, to sum it up : I "mount" (please note that I'm working on an Microsoft system) the current ISO (20.04) and install it onto a USB stick. Then, from that I make changes ? Or did I lost something in between ?
    If you don't go with the persistent USB install, you'll need to remaster the ISO. ISO files are read-only no matter what media they are on - CDROM, or HDD or flash. That type of file system isn't able to be modified. We can't just mount them and modify files. Remaster. There used to be an Ubuntu Remaster tool that would create a CDROM/DVD from a running Ubuntu system, but when EFI came, we lots lots of utilities which were pretty great.

Or just learn to get by without powershell, since there are many already included scripting languages on the ISO which are more powerful. Heck, I bet there's a powershell-to-X converter where X is bash, perl, python, ruby or even awk.
    If a month of not using powershell, you'll not want to go back.

Most of us here are converts from other OSes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nezcrocman View Post
    So, to sum it up : I "mount" (please note that I'm working on an Microsoft system) the current ISO (20.04) and install it onto a USB stick. Then, from that I make changes ? Or did I lost something in between ?
    In regards to that, Ive installed unbuntu, with rufus, onto a USB stick. Now what ? I need anther stick ton install the 1st onto the second ?

I don't quite get it...

Beans
    Hidden!

- If you want an installed system in a USB drive, yes, install when booted from one drive into the other drive, and then install your program package(s) (powershell, and maybe later some other package) after rebooting into the installed system.

- If you want a persistent live system, which can be created by Rufus, you can install your program package(s) directly into that [persistent live system] when booted from the [one and only] USB drive.

So did you create a live-only or a persistent live system onto your USB stick?

This link may help you. Scroll to the paragraph about Rufus in the answer (if you want a persistent live system).
    Last edited by sudodus; June 8th, 2021 at 04:43 PM.

Beans

Thanks, but I can't go without it. The script was made in that language. Basicaly, I need this tool to be run at boot to recuperate some infos.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is easy to test with a persistent live system. If you install Powershell, it will persist after shutdown and reboot. I suggest that you try that before heading for an installed system (which is more difficult to create).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12