Thread: Screen Sharing and screen recording problem on Ubuntu 21.04 (wayland)

Beans

Unhappy Screen Sharing and screen recording problem on Ubuntu 21.04 (wayland)

Hi Community!
    I have moved to Ubuntu 21.04 about half a month ago from 20.10. In 21.04, I have been encountering so much issues.

1. I can't share screen using google meet, viewer can't see my screen rather an entirely black screen (A window sharing works fine).
    2. Screen recording apps e.g. Kazam, OBS studio can't record my entire screen only black screen appears (window recording works fine).
    3. When I pressed windows key, sometimes my PC got stuck, I cannot go anywhere then. Thereafter I have to forcefully shut down my PC to start using it again.

Much appreciation for any kind of solution.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Screen Sharing and screen recording problem on Ubuntu 21.04 (wayland)

Support, not chat.

Thread moved to General Help.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Are you using Wayland or Xorg?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Are you using Wayland or Xorg?
    The title says Wayland. I did see that OBS started supporting Wayland at some level last week. Don't know what that support actually means. The OBS version definitely isn't part of any OBS in a repo. Perhaps there is a PPA with the newest version?

If I were the op and didn't want to troubleshoot Wayland problems, I'd just revert to X11 and be happy. To configure Xorg as the default GNOME session. Open the custom.conf
    Code:
    sudoedit  /etc/gdm/custom.conf
    and uncomment
    Code:
    WaylandEnable=false
    if it's commented but must be set to false. Reboot.

21.04 is a bleeding edge release. 21.10 will be bleeding as well. Stick with LTS releases only to minimize surprises, though those still happen.

For a long time, there was only 1 tool that could capture a screen. It was a Gnome tool and dependent on gstreamer. Meh. I much prefer SimpleScreenRecorder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you!

Switching to X11 in 21.04 allowed me to share my screen in MS Teams. I had been unable to do that with Wayland.

Also, on my system, there is no /etc/gdm, but I found the custom.conf file in /etc/gdm3
    Last edited by entropy1; June 5th, 2021 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Glad it helped you figure out.

If this is solved, please help the community - Mark it a SOLVED - "Thread Tools" Button near the top of the page ---> SOLVED.

Beans

Hmm, when programmers look at a complex wheel and think they can quickly make a much simpler and better one, they invariably invent a triangular wheel, followed by a square wheel... Wayland is now maybe a hexagon and Xorg still works much better with remote sessions.

Beans

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE says it's wayland.

Beans

Reverted to X11 and seems everything works fine. Thanks. By the way, for my case it was "gdm3" Thank you.