Thread: Get Window Title with Bash script under Wayland

Beans

Get Window Title with Bash script under Wayland

Have a bash script that gets the window title under X11 but now that Ubuntu is running Wayland this doesn't work. Any hints in getting a window title from Wayland with bash?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Get Window Title with Bash script under Wayland

What tool does the bash script use so we don't waste our time trying to test?

Beans

Prior to 21.04 Ubuntu used X11 to manage desktop and I used an bash script using xprop to gather the information I wanted (in this case the window title). With Wayland trying to find a similar tool to xprop to get the title. You can get it with Looking Glass but that is not a command line tool.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wayland is supposed to be a simpler and more secure windowing environment. Many of the capabilities we use/abuse with X tools worked by using some of the non-secure "features" of X11.

I was going to suggest xdotool but it doesn't work with Wayland. There is ydotool, but it doesn't have the same capabilities and needs to run as root to steal access to input devices. https://github.com/ReimuNotMoe/ydotool May have enough to accomplish what you need, but probably can't get the window title. ;(

Beans

Something change in my 21.10 system. The script using xprop is again returning the window title under Wayland.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

21.10 isn't released - not until late October. Post about it all belong in the "Ubuntu Development Release" sub-forum.

Support for 20.10 will end in a few weeks, so moving to 21.04 is mandatory at this point.

Call me confused.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Ubuntu Development Version. which is more appropriate and a better fit for this thread about 21.10.