Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the future potential to having a Ubuntu Linux Tablet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is the future potential to having a Ubuntu Linux Tablet?

I remember a long time ago there was a lot of attempted work on Ubuntu for tablets that really did not work well. SO generally got thinking about Linux on tablets as I wanted to put Linux on my Acer Aspire Switch 10 but did not work well. Also I noticed that Pine-64 has a ARM based 10" tablet. SO this got me thinking if it would be possible for Ubuntu to develop a Ubuntu based ARM tablet in the 10", 12" or even up to 14" tablet. The Acer Aspire Switch 10 format is interesting in that the screen detaches from the keyboard. However though I like the Acer Aspire Switch 10 format I would like to get a 14" version of it made with the possibility having a second battery and possibly a wireless hard drive in the keyboard that can communicate with the tablet motor when separated from the keyboard. Another aspect of this development is that there are two parts to a Ubuntu based tablet. One being the Ubuntu ARM tablet OS and the second the availability of tablet hardware. The hardware aspect of it offers a finished package that just works. Also is doing the hardware aspect of it may be a possible development with crowd funding. Also this might work with a higher premium package price if the finished product witch can compete with Samsung tablets with a better OS or even IPads with functionality. Also the PineTab sells for $119.98 and am thinking a well designed package may be possible in the $400 to $600 range compared to the prices of other tablets that work well. This is based on us hard core Ubuntu Linux users that would like to purchase a Linix OS tablet and this may be a workable solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    quick program launch left mac type bar

Started by Omnios, December 30th, 2007 11:49 AM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What is the future potential to having a Ubuntu Linux Tablet?

My Dell tablet (5290) worked out of the box for the most part, there was some tweaking. There were a few bumps in the road, but mostly due to my lack of experience with linux. I never managed to get two finger on screen scrolling to work and have to rely on the scroll bar. Two finger works with touchpad.

I'm really happy with Ubuntu. On the down side, your not picking one of these (Dell) up for cheap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just a bit of info https://en.jingos.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Just a bit of info https://en.jingos.com/
    Wow, nice. This could open the door for other tablets.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is based on us hard core Ubuntu Linux users that would like to purchase a Linix OS tablet and this may be a workable solution.
    Not in the opinion of the owner of Canonical and the developers who work for him. Canonical had a User Interface for Ubuntu called Unity. Many Ubuntu users did not like the idea of Ubuntu not using Gnome 3 shell and stopped using Ubuntu. Canonical developed Unity up to version 7. It then started on Unity 8 which was to be a User Interface that would work on desktop/laptop machines and smartphones/tablets. The idea was that you could plug keyboard, mouse and monitor into the Ubuntu Unity 8 powered smartphone/tablet and it would become a desktop machine. It was a good idea I thought but consumerism doesn't like good ideas. It only likes fashion and planned obsolescence. If a customer could turn a tablet into a desktop machine then the customer would not need to purchase both a smartphone and a tablet. Good for the consumer. Bad for business.

Very few people were actually willing to buy a Ubuntu smartphone and tablet. Canonical does not control hardware manufacturers. So, Unity 8 was dropped and so was Unity 7 as Conical switched fully to Gnome 3 shell. And then concentrated on making money from selling IT services and through pushing Ubuntu Core to developers of Internet of Things devices. As well as cloud solutions. I do not blame them. It keeps them in work and we get Ubuntu Desktop as a Foss Linux distribution. And I am thankful.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Not in the opinion of the owner of Canonical and the developers who work for him. Canonical had a User Interface for Ubuntu called Unity. Many Ubuntu users did not like the idea of Ubuntu not using Gnome 3 shell and stopped using Ubuntu. Canonical developed Unity up to version 7. It then started on Unity 8 which was to be a User Interface that would work on desktop/laptop machines and smartphones/tablets. The idea was that you could plug keyboard, mouse and monitor into the Ubuntu Unity 8 powered smartphone/tablet and it would become a desktop machine. It was a good idea I thought but consumerism doesn't like good ideas. It only likes fashion and planned obsolescence. If a customer could turn a tablet into a desktop machine then the customer would not need to purchase both a smartphone and a tablet. Good for the consumer. Bad for business.

Very few people were actually willing to buy a Ubuntu smartphone and tablet. Canonical does not control hardware manufacturers. So, Unity 8 was dropped and so was Unity 7 as Conical switched fully to Gnome 3 shell. And then concentrated on making money from selling IT services and through pushing Ubuntu Core to developers of Internet of Things devices. As well as cloud solutions. I do not blame them. It keeps them in work and we get Ubuntu Desktop as a Foss Linux distribution. And I am thankful.

Regards
    Thank you for explaining that.
    quick program launch left mac type bar

Started by Omnios, December 30th, 2007 11:49 AM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu's tablet/smartphone projects were taken over by ubports.
    https://ubports.com/

Fwiw, the unity7 desktop is a community project now.
    It's currently in maintenance mode, more or less.
    It's maintained by the unity7-maintainers team: https://launchpad.net/~unity7maintainers

Though there are rumblings of restarting unity development:
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/resta...s-report/20217
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Ubuntu's tablet/smartphone projects were taken over by ubports.
    https://ubports.com/
    That's super duper.

I'm going to have a good look at this and see if I can tun my old RCA android tablet into a working Ubuntu tablet as I see it as a win win situation with nothing to lose.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubports link; am I reading it right? I could take my old cell phone and load Ubuntu on it? I would be willing to try this on my old phone.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post
    Ubports link; am I reading it right? I could take my old cell phone and load Ubuntu on it? I would be willing to try this on my old phone.
    From what I've grazed over the article it sounds as though it's possible.

I'm sure willing to give it a try and if it breaks my tablet ain't no big deal on a count of it's no longer supported anyway.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast