Thread: Unable to connect Android 10 smartphone to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS laptop via USB

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unable to connect Android 10 smartphone to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS laptop via USB

I have had no problem before connecting Android phones to my laptop running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. But now I have a phone running Android 10, and the setup for connecting via USB cable has changed. So I activated Developer Tools and set the default USB behaviour to file transfer as described at https://www.techrepublic.com/article...in-android-10/.

But it doesn't work - default behaviour is set for file transfer but when I plug in the USB cable the computer does not detect the phone, not does the phone detect the computer (though the battery charging icon does appear on the phone, so there is certainly a physical connection).

So my question is: is this normal for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS? Has anyone else successfully connected an Android 10 phone to a computer running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS? If so, how did you do this?

Another question: has anyone successfully connected a later version of Ubuntu to an Android 10 phone via USB? I would certainly consider upgrading my laptop to a more recent version of Ubuntu if users are definitely reporting that USB connection to Android 10 works. But if no one is reporting success, upgrading Ubuntu right now is not a priority. 18.04 support is set to continue for a while, and I will carry on using this version - I can still transfer the microSD card from phone to laptop, or upload files to Google Drive if I have to; it's a palaver I'd rather avoid though.

So, can anyone offer any reports or advice? Cheers.
    Last edited by t0p; June 4th, 2021 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typos