Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 89 - looking for the page actions menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Firefox 89 - looking for the page actions menu.

Thanks!
    Now I will keep both versions installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    There have been many complaints about the FF 89 GUI and many ways already available to overcome at least some of those changes.
    See https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....ght=firefox+89

I have a personalised userChrome.css file that I have edited to get the layout and GUI that I want, as shown in a screenshot in that thread, and which I have also now included here.
    Disabling proton by toggling browser.proton.enabled in about:config will also get rid of a lot of whitespace in the menus and bookmarks that I use a lot from the bookmarks icon in the toolbar; with proton enabled none of the menus fitted on my screen height as there was so much wasted space between each line, very annoying.

I like my tabs right at the top of the window but using the css that I currently have, it is possible to move them to beneath the navigation bar or even to the very bottom of the screen, it's your choice, by simply removing the commenting (/*) from the appropriate line that you wish to use.
    Not to mention the about:config settings will be "removed in a later release." Just like they did with the fallback options for the last GUI change they did (massive ::focus URL bar, etc).

I do not like the lack of delimiters between my tabs, so I guess I'll be going the css route.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I have been looking for a while to locate what happened to the useful Firefox "Page Actions" menu that appeared at the right end of the address bar as three dots (see screenshot from previous Firefox version). It seems to have vanished and resists my efforts to locate. I just may not be seeing it. Does anyone know where this menu can be found? Thanks.
    What items did you use from the page actions menu?

Email Link and others are now in the Customize widget and can be added to a toolbar.

To copy a link just highlight it, right-click and Copy, or use the Ctrl+L, then Ctrl+C key combinations.

Beans

What items did you use from the page actions menu?
    All actions can be done using the 'old ways' that we used before this little menu even existed. So the removed actions menu is basically a convenience one got used to reaching for, and then it's gone.

A two step technique for copy the URL from the address bar is Alt+D followed by Ctrl+C.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Had all sorts of issues with FF89 after patching this morning.
    Tabs wouldn't load, pages were empty, clicking links wouldn't click.

There were a number of conflicts with firejail - which isn't THAT odd. Tried some different settings, had some crashes, and limited the virtual memory that it was claiming. I get tired of seeing 37G used in top. Chromium is just as bad on the virtual memory.
    Had to use the firejail PPA which has both the latest firejail and the updated firejail-profiles.
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l firejail*
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
    +++-==============-============-============-=================================
    ii  firejail       0.9.64.4-1~0 amd64        sandbox to restrict the applicati
    ii  firejail-profi 0.9.64.4-1~0 all          profiles for the firejail applica
    ~/bin/firefox.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    FJ_OPTS="--join-or-start=browserNormal --dns=172.22.22.80 \
             --rlimit-as=4096000000 --ignore=seccomp --ignore=protocol"
    FF_OPTS="-no-remote "

# limit RAM VSS to 4G
    PID=$(/usr/bin/firejail $FJ_OPTS /usr/bin/firefox $FF_OPTS )
    FF only sees 4G address space. I couldn't get the --name= firejail option working. Having a namespace means when I forget that a file needed isn't available, I can push or grab it inside that jail. Without a name, that isn't possible.

Don't consider that script golden yet. It has only been a few hours of stability. Tabs open fine, no empty pages, links that click work - unless they are blocked by the local DNS server. We filter a bunch.

I hate the tabs across the top. Been using "Tree Style Tabs" for a very, very, long time. Can't live without it. Puts tabs on the left side. Can "pin" some as just icons. I do that for these forums, nextcloud, wallabag, darksky, and the pihole web-gui.
    Last edited by TheFu; June 5th, 2021 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by walts48 View Post
    To copy a link just highlight it, right-click and Copy, or use the Ctrl+L, then Ctrl+C key combinations.
    No need.

In X11, select with the left-mouse button, then paste into any text location in any window on the system using the middle-mouse button. Select-paste has worked in X11 since before I started using Unix in the early 1990s. No need to touch the keyboard to get text. The xbuffer is great.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I did not even realise until this thread appeared that there even was a Page Actions menu as I had never noticed it or used it.
    I simply single-click in the addressbar and its content is highlighted immediately with no need to drag the cursor along its length. I think I recall making that change somehow in the past as previously I used to drag the cursor to highlight the URL, but I can not remember how I made that change; it's far too long ago. Having highlighted the URL with that single click I also use the middle mouse button to paste straight from the buffer; that is one of the useful things that I keep trying to do when I occasionally have to use Windows, and I have to remind myself that it doesn't work on that platform.

I am beginning to get the impression the Mozilla is moving in the same direction as gnome, ie, making it more and more difficult, if not impossible, to make changes to the GUI that the developers believe are not needed or wanted by users.

Are they wrong about that? I think they are, perhaps more so for we Linux users who are so used to making GUI changes that we want and not being locked into whatever someone else decides is the "correct" way to do things.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; June 5th, 2021 at 07:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Single-click selects something.
    Double-click selects a word.
    Triple-click selects an entire line.

Middle-mouse button pastes.

Mozilla can screw with the selection sometimes, so I normally just triple-click for URLs. I dislike when programmers go OUT-OF-THEIR-WAY to defeat platform capabilities. As an old X/Windows programmer, I know that the xbuffers and behavior is automatic. The program has to go out of its way to prevent it.

The magic of X11 for 30+ yrs. Can't wait for Wayland to catch up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I redid FF and now have ff89 plus ESR PPA installed. Both were freshly installed. I now have weirdness going on (on both).

ff.jpg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dddman View Post
    I redid FF and now have ff89 plus ESR PPA installed. Both were freshly installed. I now have weirdness going on (on both).
    I've always heard that you could run one or the other but not both because one may conflict with the other.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast