Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When will GNOME 40 have the desktop interface for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: When will GNOME 40 have the desktop interface for Ubuntu?

Congrats zebra2

You have to tell us how well wayland + gnome 40 work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@dddman
    I have been using Wayland since it was introduced to the Ubuntu desktop by Canonical. I think about Wayland about as much as I think about Systemd. They are just reality. Gnome 40 works just fine with Wayland but I can't say how well it works without it. If I want 3D I need Wayland and if I need 2D Wayland gives me Xwayland which farms out 2D to X. Gnome 40 is a Desktop concept that is developed by Gnome and uses what the System Environment provides. I personally use Wayland because I stay on the experimental edge. That is why I put Gnome 40 on 21.10 and not 21.04. I don't use released versions. If that costs me a reinstall that is ok because thats what I do. I have never asked a support question on this forum because "support" serves "stable". What I Have right now is Ubuntu 20.10 Wayland with the Gnome 40 Desktop which I like very much. My wife is on Focal Wayland. I keep her on LTS because of its stability. Thanks for your involvement with this thread. Our lifestyles seem to be out of sync so there is a time lapse in the conversation but I'm glad the OP got this going. Gnome 40 wasn't on my radar at all until now. It is currently my working desktop. Since neither Ubuntu Gnome 40 nor Ubuntu 21.10 have been released this entire conversation probably ought to be in the Development section.
    PS: I think that @Fu was on target when he brought config files into the conversation. Most likely they where involved in my reinstall. I suggest that if anyone here is "stable" oriented to not go down this road and wait until it is released as stable (Gnome 40).
    Last edited by zebra2; June 13th, 2021 at 11:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well I tried and tried to get wayland to work for me. Afterall I wanted to be on the latest and greatest, but in the end I ended up on xorg. IMO wayland needs some more time in the oven.

I still like to hear in a week how things are with you. That's plenty of time for those little "got ya" to move in

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123