Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 89 downgrade to 88.0.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Firefox 89 downgrade to 88.0.2

Hi,
    I really don't like the new Firefox 89 and it broke my css (to have tabs at the bottom). I tried a lot already to get the tabs back at the bottom (other css), but nothing works.

So, is it possible to safely downgrade Firefox to 88.0.1 again which worked perfect for me (without breaking anything and keeping my settings)?

All help is welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Firefox 89 downgrade to 88.0.2

No. Downgrading packages is usually hard, simply because the old versions get removed from the repositories (except kernel upgrades). It may still be in your cache. Furthermore, Firefox 88 won't get any more security upgrades, which are somewhat important for a web browser.

Beans

You can download a binary from Mozilla and run it locally.

Beans

Uninstall the current version and you can then reinstall with the older version.

Beans

All packaging types for Firefox have automatic upgrading by default - so if you downgrade, it will just just upgrade again. You can block upgrades to the apt version and maybe the Mozilla direct version, but as mentioned, the web browser is especially important to keep up to date for security, so you should adapt to the changes. That's progress, as they say.

Beans
    Distro

Hi everybody,

I understand the security issues, but usability is first on my list.

So, I would keep Firefox 89 is someone knows how to get my old layout back, which is simply: tabs under the address bar. Up until version 88 I had a css to do that, but I had to delete it as the new version messes up completely with the css. So, does anybody know how to do that? I see a lot of people complaining about that, but no viable solution.

It would be nice by the way if Mozilla had a switch in about:config to do that...

@ActionParsnip
    Uninstall the current version and you can then reinstall with the older version.
    Can you tell me how I would do that?

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matrooswolf View Post
    Hi everybody,

I understand the security issues, but usability is first on my list.

So, I would keep Firefox 89 is someone knows how to get my old layout back, which is simply: tabs under the address bar. Up until version 88 I had a css to do that, but I had to delete it as the new version messes up completely with the css. So, does anybody know how to do that? I see a lot of people complaining about that, but no viable solution.

It would be nice by the way if Mozilla had a switch in about:config to do that...

@ActionParsnip Can you tell me how I would do that?

Thanks!
    See if setting browser.proton.enabled to false in about:config does anything.
    Last edited by ardouronerous; June 3rd, 2021 at 02:00 PM.

Beans

Also, check if toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets is set to true in about:config. That maybe the reason why you're CSS has stopped working.
    Last edited by ardouronerous; June 3rd, 2021 at 01:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ardouronerous View Post
    Also, check if toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets is set to true in about:config. That maybe the reason why you're CSS has stopped working.
    Hi,

I already disabled everything Proton, brings back the delimiters between the tabs, but doesn't do much more.

toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheet is set to true.

But with my old css (which worked fine up until 88.0.1) this is what I get: tabs go to the bottom of the screen, and only one tab is visible (see attachment)

I don't know css well enough to change it to get the tabs under the address bar. If anybody does, please let me know!

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matrooswolf View Post
    Hi,

I already disabled everything Proton, brings back the delimiters between the tabs, but doesn't do much more.

toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheet is set to true.

But with my old css (which worked fine up until 88.0.1) this is what I get: tabs go to the bottom of the screen, and only one tab is visible (see attachment)

I don't know css well enough to change it to get the tabs under the address bar. If anybody does, please let me know!

Thanks.
    Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help, my experience in CSS is non-existent. I would suggest that you ask in r/FirefoxCSS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast