Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help, just started using linux and I'm confused

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Help, just started using linux and I'm confused

synaptic may help you find packages to install (sudo apt install synaptic). It's much more detailed than that software store thing.
    You probably want packages apache2, mariadb-server, mariadb-client, and also some kind of php but I don't know php at all.

Beans

If you want to install each part separately, you can. Just run:
    Code:
    sudo apt install mysql
    To install the M in LAMP.
    You can install Apache to get the A in LAMP with
    Code:
    sudo apt install apache2
    and you can install PHP to get the P from LAMP by running
    Code:
    sudo apt install php

Beans

As always, Digitalocean do some cracking guides
    https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-20-04

Beans

Just a thought - If you were to install XAMPP (Apache MariaDB, PHP, and Perl) using one of the installation methods outside the repositories you might introduce incompatibilities with the "standard" Ubuntu versions ether at installation or when you update.
    You will also be able to update the Ubuntu versions regularly and be pretty sure they are compatible with each other.
    The Ubuntu LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MariaDB, PHP) does mostly the same thing and uses the standard versions for that Ubuntu release. You can easily add Perl if you need it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perl is pre-installed on all major versions of Ubuntu. Many core capabilities in all Linux are dependent on perl. It is only when we go for extreme minimal linux installs that a perl isn't installed, so perhaps Ubuntu Core wouldn't have it? Ubuntu Server, and the 10 desktop flavors of Ubuntu all do. Same for Fedora, Mint, and Debian releases.

If you need a specific version, leave the Ubuntu-installed version alone and use Perlbrew to setup a specific perl version with specific perl modules. I use perlbrew 20x a month - sometimes more. It is part of my web-app development process.
    If you need a specific ruby or python, those also have tools similar to perlbrew for keeping the scripting environments separate and not polluting them in the OS.
    Using these tools is the best practice. Sometimes they are called virtual environments, which can be confusing since they have nothing at all to do with Linux Containers or Virtual Machines or Web Virtual hosts.

I suspect php has a way to do the same, but don't know what it might be. My experience says that php will go with a different program name rather than using environment variables to get the php version and modules we desire. But that's probably just my ignorance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123